Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Change Of Plugs and Wires Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2012, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Change Of Plugs and Wires Problem

Mt 2005 Limited PT was idleing rough so I replaced the plugs and wires. (they were wasted) While doing so I noticed that the 2nd plug from the passenger side was very loose. So I did the replacement and since have noticed that while at idle about every 20 seconds the idle drops, then back to about 7000 rpms. It ran better before the change. Could it be the plugs? Wires? Don't understand, I thought that it would get better. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 27 Jan 2012, 12:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Change Of Plugs and Wires Problem

Did you gap them at .040 ?
Old 27 Jan 2012, 01:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

i would check to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 01:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Did you gap them at .040 ?
Yes, gaped properly
Old 27 Jan 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
i would check to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Wouldn't this have happened before the change? How do I do a vacuum check?
Old 27 Jan 2012, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedweller View Post
Wouldn't this have happened before the change? How do I do a vacuum check?
No- Likely something got disconnected during upper intake manifold removal, when you were changing plugs.

We're, of course, supposed to change those rubber gaskets, none of us do.

I'd strongly suggest doing as Soyo says; listen in engine compartment for a 'hissing' sound, and try to determine where it's from.

We've all seen wild plug gaps, the ignition is powerful enough to fire under a wide range of conditions/gaps.

I'd had keeping plug ceramic absolutely clean drilled into my head from early age- Free of skin oils, so I never touch them and wipe dry with a dispersant if there's any question- Same for boot internals.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedweller View Post
Mt 2005 Limited PT was idleing rough so I replaced the plugs and wires. (they were wasted) While doing so I noticed that the 2nd plug from the passenger side was very loose. So I did the replacement and since have noticed that while at idle about every 20 seconds the idle drops, then back to about 7000 rpms. It ran better before the change. Could it be the plugs? Wires? Don't understand, I thought that it would get better. Any ideas? Thanks

The wires are all on tight? I would check that plug that's in the loose spot to make sure it didn't get loose also.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure you didn't crack a plug in the change. Pros have done it. Just a thought.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 12:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
No- Likely something got disconnected during upper intake manifold removal, when you were changing plugs.

I'd strongly suggest doing as Soyo says; listen in engine compartment for a 'hissing' sound, and try to determine where it's from.

We've all seen wild plug gaps, the ignition is powerful enough to fire under a wide range of conditions/gaps.

I'd had keeping plug ceramic absolutely clean drilled into my head from early age- Free of skin oils, so I never touch them and wipe dry with a dispersant if there's any question- Same for boot internals.
I agree with uptown. Possibly some kind of leak in the intake/vac situation. A old school trick, if it's not a distinctive "hissing sound" that you can locate, is to take a can of carb cleaner and "mist" not spray any areas that there could be a leak. You will hear a difference in the running of the engine (hesitation/hiccup) and be able pinpoint it. Just my 2 cents. Let us know!
Old 10 Feb 2012, 02:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post

You have to remove the intake manifold to change the plugs in an '05? I just changed the plugs and wires in my '03 turbo. They're right there in plain view. No problems, other than the oil in the #1 port, covered in another thread. But I did just what the service manual said: disconnected the battery first, and removed the wire from the distributor/coil, then from the plug. A set of plug wire removal pliers helps a lot with this.

But I agree with the other posters; chances are you pulled something loose in the process.