PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

timing belt cost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt cost

So i am about to procure my first PT Cruiser and reading all these threads got me to wonder whether I should be proactive and change the timing belt....

I emailed a few places and I am getting no where near the 800-1200 I have been seeing.

So far three have replied...

300.00$ plus parts
500.00 parts included (I mentioned timing belt and water pump)

What else I should have them change while in there?

How come so cheap? I am wondering if they are skimping on the AC discharge/recharge? Is that even necessary?

Does it even make sense to do this on an 02 with 60000 miles?

Thanks
Nick
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt cost

well on my o2 pt it went at about 120,000 miles going down the highway lucky i had no damage other then the timing belt. i don't know much about engine stuff on cars but my dad does and he bought the timing kit set for 40$ and did it him self it took 3 hours but well worth not going to a shop. if you can find someone that will do for free or cheap fee the belt kit is only about 30-40$
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksbar View Post
Does it even make sense to do this on an 02 with 60000 miles?

Thanks
Nick
I would say it makes no sense at all. I've never even heard of of a timing belt going that early. My PT just hit 90k miles and while I am just now beginning to think about the timing belt I don't see myself doing it until I start getting warning signs. The car is running strong so why fix it when it isn't broke.

As far as the prices, I've also read $800-$1200 so I am wondering what kind of quotes you have there... LOL
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfandskim92 View Post
well on my o2 pt it went at about 120,000 miles going down the highway lucky i had no damage other then the timing belt. i don't know much about engine stuff on cars but my dad does and he bought the timing kit set for 40$ and did it him self it took 3 hours but well worth not going to a shop. if you can find someone that will do for free or cheap fee the belt kit is only about 30-40$
$30-$40 for a kit? where? does it include water pump and gasket? how about tensioner and pulley?
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I was told 40 cdn for the belt, 60 for the pump and 400 labour. I have 105k on mine and going to do the belt and pump next month to be proactive. my supervisor at work has a pt as well and his timing belt went and he's looking at a motor swap due to damage.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What warning signs? I had a belt snap on a Eclipse turbo, aluminium head had to be rebuilt @ 3000$...before the snap the car was perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
I would say it makes no sense at all. I've never even heard of of a timing belt going that early. My PT just hit 90k miles and while I am just now beginning to think about the timing belt I don't see myself doing it until I start getting warning signs. The car is running strong so why fix it when it isn't broke.

As far as the prices, I've also read $800-$1200 so I am wondering what kind of quotes you have there... LOL
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I guess you are like me...but I am wondering if its to soon since they recommend doing the belt at 100k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
I was told 40 cdn for the belt, 60 for the pump and 400 labour. I have 105k on mine and going to do the belt and pump next month to be proactive. my supervisor at work has a pt as well and his timing belt went and he's looking at a motor swap due to damage.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Me too...I want to know about the warning signs ( never heard that)
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

the way I see it, it's rated for replacement at 160,000? how long does it take to drive that far? $500 is a cheap bit of insurance that should ensure I don't have to do it again before needing a rebuild.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksbar View Post
What warning signs? I had a belt snap on a Eclipse turbo, aluminium head had to be rebuilt @ 3000$...before the snap the car was perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Me too...I want to know about the warning signs ( never heard that)
I'm just talking about what I've read from people who said that their car started giving them issues prior to losing the belt... rough idle, rough running, difficult starting, etc.. etc... etc... I've read that more than once on these forums.. but I've also read that people had the belt snap with no warning.

I had an issue at 85k with my PT coughing on random occasions and losing power. I thought it might be the belt but it turned out to be the cam sensor which took all of 10 minutes to replace.

With my car at 90k I've thought about the timing belt but it's a tough choice. Drop $1000 and replace everything or keep riding for another 10k? 20k? 30k? The car has been nearly perfect since the day I bought it with only routine maintenance and minor repairs (O2 sensor, cam sensor, radiator fan) and I drive like a grandma so that makes it a harder decision.