Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2012, 06:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Remote Starter

Hey guys first sorry I've been away for a while. Just been too busy with stuff. When I get my tax return I plan on getting a remote starter kit for the cruiser. I am wondering for people that already have one, which kit did you got and if there is anything else I need to know about them.

Thanks
Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:17 pm
Banned

Default Re: Remote Starter

No problems with mine, see description below.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

does it take a special remote start? or does any kit work?? and also are the keys programmed? i know i had a Concorde and you had to have a duplicate key to install with the remote kit so it would bypass the security in the car. Is the PT the same?
Old 08 Feb 2012, 08:04 pm
Banned

You can buy just a remote start, they are out there.

Mine is tied in with my alarm system I bought.

No special key, just a remote

Some people install them on manual transmissions and bypass things so if its in gear and it starts, bye bye PT.

Mine is set so you have to do a series of 8 steps in order to activate the remote start, so you can remote start the vehicle for the next time.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I second the remark with the manual tranny. If u have a manual I wouldnt do a remote start. If you have a automatic then prepare to buy the remote start as well as a bypass. I am not sure, but I know some cars also have to sacrifice a key to the bypass as well.

If using a viper, clifford, or Avital I believe (its been a year since I worked at the car audio shop) the bypass would be a DBAll which shouldnt require a key.

Secondly i would recommend a two way remote start that way you get a confirmation that your car has started incase you arent able to see it from where it starts, or in my case, if a kid manages to grab your keys and push buttons haha

Also please dont get a one button remote start... Too many issues messing with factory fob. Just get a two way 4 button remote start that can turn on the car as well as arm the system (the range is good too vs factory fob)

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 10 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
I second the remark with the manual tranny. If u have a manual I wouldnt do a remote start. If you have a automatic then prepare to buy the remote start as well as a bypass. I am not sure, but I know some cars also have to sacrifice a key to the bypass as well.

If using a viper, clifford, or Avital I believe (its been a year since I worked at the car audio shop) the bypass would be a DBAll which shouldnt require a key.

Secondly i would recommend a two way remote start that way you get a confirmation that your car has started incase you arent able to see it from where it starts, or in my case, if a kid manages to grab your keys and push buttons haha

Also please dont get a one button remote start... Too many issues messing with factory fob. Just get a two way 4 button remote start that can turn on the car as well as arm the system (the range is good too vs factory fob)

I didnt say not to get one in a manual transmission, I have one in my 5 speed GT and it works fine.

I merely stated that it has to be done correctly, too many people or places are not doing it correctly.

I have 8 steps I have to go through before activating my remote start at shutdown so I could activate remote start.

I just cant walk up to the vehicle and hit remote start and expect it to start.

There is no hidden key or anything either.

I have a 1 mile range with the fob to start or turn off the car

And unlimited range to start or stop the engine with my iphone, works anywhere there is a cell signal

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 10 Feb 2012 at 11:44 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:20 am
Regular Cruiser

i have the viper remote start. got it for about $400 installed at geek squad best buy. i had gift cards for there plus if they install it they will remove it for free and install in your new car for labor charges only. had a few issues with sensors crapping out but they replaced for free.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Dill 110%. Yes, Busa's accurate, he's got a remote start on a manual tranny, but he's very careful about starting that thing remotely. All you need is one time to be a bit sleepy and forget that you left it in gear, hit the starter button and watch it run through a wall.

However, that's besides the point, I also agree with Busa on the point about getting it installed. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of shops out there that will install a remote start kit for you, and in my mind 90% of them are hacks and don't know spit about remote starts. That being said, make sure they are good at what they do before you use them. And in my personal opinion, STAY FAR AWAY FROM GEEK SQUAD!

I know the GM of the Best Buy near me and he is constantly reminding me of what a bunch of idiots he has working for him. These guys are NOT technicians, they are NOT technically trained nor are they in any way qualified by any sort of ASE certification. They are being paid minimum wage, so stay away from them! Just my opinion.

Last, and again, I have to agree with Dill. Don't go cheap. His suggestions are right on the money. If you want inexpensive, then fine, get a nice kit and do it yourself, it's not that difficult. Just remember, you're putting your car in jeopardy if you don't have a good remote start.

Personally, I've added in two-way remote starts to all my vehicles except my PT, simply because I don't trust a remote start on a manual tranny. My wife's T&C van has the factory remote start, and it's a friggin great one. You don't have to worry about locking doors and stuff. It starts up then locks the doors. You have a time limit on getting your keys in the ignition once you open the doors, and if you don't it locks up and won't move. Also with the factory remote start, only lighting and heat/air works during remote start - no stereo or any of that stuff. Pretty cool, in my opinion. The other thing about the factory remote start is you don't have a second key fob to carry around.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 02:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Hello,

I actually just got a code-alarm remote start installed and I like it pretty good. I was able to get the hi-end unit for the price of the bargain viper unit. (I was set on Viper though, Quality). I had a place called Audio Express install it and they did a fast, quality job. I got a tutorial, free adjustments, 3 year warranty, and the $1.00 install.

Oh, and as mentioned before. I also prefer the 2-way remote models.

Good luck on what you choose.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBQPT View Post
Hello,

I actually just got a code-alarm remote start installed and I like it pretty good. I was able to get the hi-end unit for the price of the bargain viper unit. (I was set on Viper though, Quality). I had a place called Audio Express install it and they did a fast, quality job. I got a tutorial, free adjustments, 3 year warranty, and the $1.00 install.

Oh, and as mentioned before. I also prefer the 2-way remote models.

Good luck on what you choose.
Sounds like a heck of a deal!