Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dead animal smell in car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2012, 10:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Dead animal smell in car

Long time lurker here...I don't remember if I've ever posted though. Well my g.f.'s Cruiser has this putrid dead animal/rotten smell. She doesn't have any junk so it was easy to make sure she hadn't left any groceries or anything in there. But now that that is eliminated I'm thinking there might have been a mouse or something that climbed around and died.

My question is...what should I be looking for and where? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep the smell from settling into her interior (even after I remove the caucus.
Old 02 Feb 2012, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dead animal smell in car

There is a recent thread posted here, I can't remember it off top of my head, but someone posted this smell remover stuff. It's like a bug bomb for the inside of the car. I'm sure if you search around you'll find it, you can go up to the drop down menu Quick Links and look at the posts for the last few days.

As to the smell, well it could be at the cabin air intake opening, which is where you cabin air filter would go (most PT's don't have the filter, just the cage for it), or it could be in the system somewhere. I'm not as familiar with the older model PT's, what year is her's?
Old 02 Feb 2012, 01:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Chrome, I'd second that.

There's a 'plenum' under windshield wipers that you can remove (you have to 'pull' the wipers or 'shock' them off by tapping between two hammers)

You can also pull heater blower motor and feel around.

Pulling the heater box itself is more involved, there are plenty of pictures, though, if it comes to that- Just ask in this thread or PM me.

Chrome has manuals he can hook you up with, too
Old 02 Feb 2012, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
There is a recent thread posted here, I can't remember it off top of my head, but someone posted this smell remover stuff. It's like a bug bomb for the inside of the car.
As to the smell, well it could be at the cabin air intake opening, which is where you cabin air filter would go (most PT's don't have the filter, just the cage for it), or it could be in the system somewhere.
That would be my thread about cigarette smoke. :-)

Cabin Air Filter
Old 02 Feb 2012, 06:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

yup I have had to deal with mice and rats getting into heating ducts...

I detailed this minivan last winter. omg. they had junk food all over inside and a rat had chewed in through the carpet after finding a path through the frame and got inside one of the seats and made a bed. I had to pull seats and stuff out once I found the little hole. what a mess one rat can make.

dead smell is so tough to get out. I ozoned a car a mouse died in the heating ducts and even 1 hr on high wasn't enough (20 mins will kill cig smell). find the source and remove that. most sprays and machines will mask the smell but it won't go away unless you remove the source.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 10:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the help guys. Before I went searching in the HVAC ducts and such, I took one last look in the car and found a little bit of white residue on a rear floor mat. Turned out she spilled a little milk (not enough to call for attention but enough to reek). Cleaned that up and it seems good to go.

I will probably end up buying an Cabin Air filter for her in the not too distant future.