Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TC & ABS lights on/new front tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default TC & ABS lights on/new front tires

Howdy. Just replaced both front tires on the wife's 03 gt. Now having issues with the TC and ABS idiot lights lighting up. Tires replaced were same size as the ones that came off. Any insight as to why the idiot lights?

It's the wife's PT......but I get to drive it on occasion

2003 Inferno Red GT.........no mods.....stock.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TC & ABS lights on/new front tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannesman View Post
Howdy. Just replaced both front tires on the wife's 03 gt. Now having issues with the TC and ABS idiot lights lighting up. Tires replaced were same size as the ones that came off. Any insight as to why the idiot lights?
Might have knocked some rust loose & interfering with abs sensor. or damaged sensor or wire. Check these out & reset codes.
Old 06 Feb 2012, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's also a toothed wheel that the sensors monitor that may have been damaged by the wheel replacement.
I believe a good code reader can pinpoint which wheel is causing the problem - short of that, take off one wheel at a time and inspect everything.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Feb 2012, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
There's also a toothed wheel that the sensors monitor that may have been damaged by the wheel replacement.
I believe a good code reader can pinpoint which wheel is causing the problem - short of that, take off one wheel at a time and inspect everything.
2xs , metal rust will be attracted to the toothed ring. Compressed air will help there.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 07:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys, sounds like a trip back to the tire store. I'm a bit tortured here, when the store replaced the tires they gave me the wrong size, which was discovered by the a-for mentioned warning lights. I called them and told them and they said they had put 205's on and the tires on there were 215's. This was what set the lights off, according to them. So, back to the store, replaced the fronts with 215's, still have the warning lights on. I'll pass along the info you've given me if necessary. Thanks again.

Old 12 Feb 2012, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Follow up..............before I could get the car into the shop, we had a snowstorm. Wife was driving to work and lost some traction in the snow, both abs and traction control idiot lights went off and traction control is back to where it should be. Wanted to post this in case anyone else has this problem when front tires/wheels are replaced. Thanks again.