PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2012, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold

Hello. I'm hoping that some one with more experience with these cars can help me. I own a 2004 PT Cruiser, non-turbo. I got a good deal on it about two years ago, and it's been a good little car for commuting. However, the AC quit working towards the end of last summer. It blows, but the air coming in is roughly the same as the air outside. I took it to a shop that offers free diagnostics, and they checked the feeon level and the temperature in the cooling system. Both were good. I asked what the next step was, and I was told that it might something in the vents. They'd have to tear into, at a minimum of 9 hours and no maximum. At $75 an hour, I said thanks but no thanks.

Has anybody experienced this before? Could it be something in the vent or its controls? Or is something else more likely?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Old 06 Feb 2012, 06:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold

When you turn on the AC does the rad fan speed up.
If not you need a rad fan motor. Ive seen them from $50 just motor to $200 for whole fan and motor.

To test it you can run power to your fan motor on the high side and then the low side. It is 2 speed.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 08:42 am
Young Cruiser

have you had to put a new timming belt in latley or has your snapped ?
Old 07 Feb 2012, 11:55 am
Cool Cruiser

If the freon level is good and the pressures look OK there are 4 possibilities:

1. the low pressure switch is faulty or its wiring
2. the high pressure switch is faulty (its inside the compressor)
3. The compressor itself is faulty and not compressing.
4. Clog in lines/condensor/evap, etc.

These switches cut off the magnetic clutch that causes the compressor to compress freon.
The low pressure switch is a N/C switch that opens when the pressure is too low (low freon condition)
The high pressure switch is a N/C switch that opens when the pressure is too high (no fan/too much freon/too hot).

You can check the low pressure switch by finding it atop the silvery tower near the firewall, passenger side. Make sure its plugged in. With the A/C in the on position, and the fans running, disconnect the switch and short the wire side. If the AC compressor obviously kicks on, the switch is bad (provided the pressure is high enough).

If the radiator fan was not spinning the air would cycle cold/hot and work well while driving, but not sitting at a light.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I know it isn't the radiator fan; I just put a new one it right before I posted this thread

I haven't put a new timing belt on it, although I am sure it's about that time.

Thanks bob. I'll try the switch tomorrow. So, just to make sure I get the order of operations:

Check switch
Check lines/dryer/evaporator
Replace compressor

Right?
Old 08 Feb 2012, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Right on.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 11:48 am
Regular Cruiser

My few cents... my aircon did not work from day 1, car went for its yearly test (we do this in the UK) and I asked the mechanic to take a look and he found a connector underneath (not sure where but you cant see it unless you have it on ramps) that had come off. He just plugged it back and all is working now.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

when you use your defrost the compressor should kick in also
Old 04 May 2012, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser. About a week ago, the air conditioner started blowing hot air. Previously, when you would pull up, e.g., to a drive-thru window and idle, the air would go gradually from cold to hot and then cool down upon resuming cruising speeds.

Yesterday, I took it to Goodyear for an a/c tune-up, hoping it was just needing freon. After awhile, the service tech called me up to the desk and said he couldn't do anything for my car. He stated that when he connected and ground out to the switch to test the air compressor, that the engine stopped. He didn't want to continue to test it, for fear that it might shut the engine down for good. He referenced the PCM, which I take is the car's central computer.

He suggested that I might take it to the dealership to see if they had had any other similar incidents. Knowing that means $$$$$, I thought I would post this on here to see if anyone had any other ideas. I have also had wiring problems with the headlights in the past, also related to the car's main computer.

Thanks!
Old 04 May 2012, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cate, as far as the pulling up to a fast-food window and your A/C went from cool to warm, then resumed "cool" again when you resumed cruising speed--sounds like your fan is not working properly, or not at all.

When you resumed cruising speed again, the air rushing past your A/C condenser, cooled your condenser and thus cooled your "high-side" of your A/C and you started blowing cold air again. Did you also experience a "stuttering" of the engine at idle (with the A/C on) while waiting in the fast-food line? It seems you should have.

If this has been going on for quite a while, you may have ruptured an A/C line and lost your freon, due to your high side getting too high and causing too much pressure in your A/C system.

Have the fan checked, first. Then go to another mechanic to have them test your A/C. Sounds like the one guy doesn't know how to work on PT's.

Tim