Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Great Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2012, 06:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Great Information

I'm going to look at another car today. White 04, better condition, under 60k miles, better price, and it's a....turbo! Wasn't sure what to look for in a turbo. I found great infor on here about turbos and cruisers in general. I wish I had time to do more reading! The last thing I want is a money pit. I know used cars are a crap shoot but it sure helps when your armed with the right info!
Old 08 Feb 2012, 06:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Great Information

along with this one, another good PTCruiser forum is PTCrewdotcom. Between the two, you can get almost all of your PTC questions answered
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 08 Feb 2012, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto what Kevin said, and welcome aboard!!! So, give us some info: where are you from, what do you do, etc.

Me, I'm 6'2", 300 pounds, I like short walks on the beach, sweet red wine, reading my kindle, and finely made French ticklers.... oh wait, wrong forum.....L M A O.....

Old 08 Feb 2012, 08:52 am
Young Cruiser

lol^^
Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:03 am
Cool Cruiser

As for what to look for in a turbo:

Around the engine compartment - you are looking for evidence of overheating. It's never a good thing - So - look for burned spots on the dipstick. If possible, before driving the car when it is cold (if its been driven at all forget about this), open the radiator cap and you should see it full to the rim. Check the color of the coolant and look for any evidence of oil - it will have risen to this level and you'll see a nice amount if there is any head gasket issue. You should see no oil whatsoever here. Coolant should be bright yellow if its been replaced (and by 60k it should have been) - or orange - if it was refilled with factory Mopar coolant or if it were never changed. Green is no good. The universal coolant is not for pt cruisers. Some have moved to dexcool which is also orange.

On the dipstick the oil should be fairly new and not smell burned. It should be nearly clear - but some dark is fine.

If auto, check the transmission fluid. A bit of candley smell is OK, but it shouldn't be overpowering. Burned tranny fluid is obvious. It smells like hot ass wax. It should be very dark magenta and should coat your fingers.

Dark brake fluid is a bit of a bad sign but not a deal breaker IMO. Power steering fluid should be filled to hot, and its the same as tranny fluid. There should be no puddles except plain water from teh A/C.

While driving you should notice boost when you hit the gas and the RPM's get over 2500 - it's obvious. It presses you back in the seat (yes even the diet turbos). Any problem will be immediately obvious in the sound. If the turbo is bad, it will make a racket, or the car will fall over itself when you punch it - it'll start to go then sputter or stumble. Listen for exhaust leaks and the catalytic converter rattle (marbles on a plate sound).

Last edited by bobdole369; 08 Feb 2012 at 11:06 am.