Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A really odd problem - flicker, then dead, then starts back up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2012, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default A really odd problem - flicker, then dead, then starts back up

We had quite a bit of rain over FL in the past few days - I don't know if its related but its something that concerns me.

2004 limited - pretty much stock - have done timing belt, have added a 4 ga from negative post on battery to a new tapped stud on the firewall. K&N air filter - I drive about 26 miles each way to work.

Several times in the past few days I notice a fairly high frequency flicker in every light, dash, headlights, radio, domes, etc - within a minute of this - the entire car just dies. I lose radio settings, lights die, dash is off, then I go into neutral, start the car and move on like nothing happened.

I'd say it was shorting the battery but that doesn't quite make sense I would expect a ton of burned wires somewhere and I don't see that.

So is there any component that can do this? I doubt the alternator would do this even if dead shorted - the battery would run everything.

Perhaps the battery somehow comes undone (like maybe from corrosion on the starter terminal, or under the fuse block?) Except the car starts right up. If I didn't know better i would say something retarded like the ECM reboots.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 02:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: A really odd problem - flicker, then dead, then starts back up

I'm not experienced enough with this issue to speak directly, I do recall folks
posting issues with the 'new' style electric system, so the best I could do is
suggest you search and see if others have had that problem.

Anyone recall a specific thread for Mr. Dole?
Old 08 Feb 2012, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would begin by cleaning all battery cable connections.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just got a PT myself and could not give a car specific answer but i would also look check your grounds. sometimes they are on engine block kind of low and could be loose or gunked up. i would take it loose clean it good with wire brush to make sure you are getting a good ground. I had a chevy pick up with weird electrical problems and this turned out to be the cause of the problem.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Something to read ....

2002 pt cruiser dies then fires right back up randomly going down the highway - FixYa

Chrysler Car dies starting Problems & Solutions

2001 pt cruiser - Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Huh.

Sure enough today it happened again - this time in traffic. Thought it was alarm related more than anything else. I have a viper 350hv installed when i got the car. It was the only thing running (I could see the LED about to arm the system). Of course it was in heavy traffic so I for 3 minutes I'm banging on everything trying to get her to go. The gauges were going nuts, dash was coming on and off, alarm started going off but very weird - low and squeaky.

It wasn't at all like a low battery condition - lights didn't dim - every single electric thing in the car was dead, then it was funky and intermittent, then just as suddenly as it stopped, she started right back up. The dash odometer came on, which was my signal that the event was over. When it was happening the engine wouldn't crank, no clicks, nothing at all, just dead dead dead like someone had pulled the battery and alternator.

Then once the dash odometer came back on it was like nothing happened. Started right up and zipped off.

Grounds are good, I actually have a second 8ga going to a 2nd post on the firewall, haven't redone the motor grounds though or replaced the positive cable.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I could probably find 1/2 a dozen threads of owners with electrical problems and they all came back to "added" components like alarm systems and remote starters that messed up the way they were wired.Bob, I'd start by taking off the Viper system if that's possible.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I could probably find 1/2 a dozen threads on owners with electrical problems and they all came back to "added" components like alarm systems and remote starters that messed up the way they were wired. Bob, I'd start by taking off the Viper system if that's possible.

Old 14 Feb 2012, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not averse to pulling the Viper Crewzin, it's just that I don't have the factory keyfob. I dont know how its all wired either - I've actually had quite a few problems with this alarm and I suspect its dying too. It randomly doesn't unlock the doors, or pulses and doesn't unlock the doors, it also seems to have a mind of its own sometimes - arms when it should disarm, gives a second chirp indicating something wrong, etc.

So I know that this alarm is feeding the factory alarm a disable command somehow. Since if I just don't disarm it - the factory alarm goes off with its beeping and dash LED. So I'm considering buying another Viper or other car alarm that will feed teh factory alarm, and redoing all the wiring myself.

So regarding this issue I've found a few correlations here - and they all seem related to battery / corrosion. I know that I haven't actually replaced the cables yet - and I haven't redone all the engine grounds too - but really? The car seems to be possessed, I can't imagine that without actually moving it - corrosion or shitty 4ga cable can make what I'm seeing happen.

But it does seem to. Damn gremlins. Hmm - Whats this ASD relay do? The Auto-Shutdown-Relay? Don't have time at work to see where it is in the wiring diagram. Also looks like at least one member had an ignition switch cause this.

BTW my battery is <6 months old and always seems to start right up.

Flashing Icons, Gauges Go Up & Down, then Car Dies...

Flickering dash board instrument lights??

Flickering lights and fluctuating gauges needles...

Dash lights go out

Flickering lights again
Old 14 Feb 2012, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The auto shutdown relay:

Automatic Shutdown Relay

I'm only guessing but it still seems like it's the Viper alarm problem.