Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My absence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2012, 02:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default My absence

Folks, while I've been a member of the forum since November of 2007, right after I purchased my 2001 LE, I've been very absence from this group for the last couple of years.

I lost my job of 21 years right before Thanksgiving of 2009. It was partly due to my having a harder and harder time reading plus other things relating to company who hired me being brought out. Anyway through October of last year I was on unemployment barely having enough to pay bills and eat, little left over for playing with my Cruiser. Last October I turned 65 so now I can draw Social Security and my wife turned 62 in November so she can now also draw it. Combining the two together puts us a few hundred dollars in income each month that I was getting on unemployment. While we won't be rich, I am hoping to slowly be able to get a few things done that I've been putting off. I hope to be here again a little more often.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 09 Feb 2012, 02:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My absence

Ah Gary I'm so sorry man. I just went through a similar situation, spent 27 years with the same company then got laid off and spent 8 months looking for a job. Just got a new job in January and now can finally pay some bills. Man, I don't know where you live but if you were close to me I'd be willing to volunteer my time helping you out with any issues on your PT. I love working on them!

I'll keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers. If I can help you out in any way let me know. I'm still broke, but finally on the up-swing. I can't believe how much my life has changed over the last year. Lost our home, almost lost both cars, almost lost my baby (that is my Four Winns FunShip 264...lol), and spent so many months deep in dark depression. Come January 2nd, that all changed and I'm just very grateful to not have lost my family. Came very close, but in my opinion it was G-d's way of testing my faith, and somehow I found the silver lining.

So, smile if you can, and even if I'm not close by geographically, I'm close by emotionally and spiritually so if you just need someone to talk to I'm almost always available for my friends.

Again, my best to you and your wife, give her a great big hug for me and a big ole sloppy wet kiss! I'd give you a hug but you're probably not near enough for that! hahaha

Oh, not seeking pity, but you made a comment about your eyesight - well I'm going blind, slowly. They haven't been able to figure out what's wrong, but I'm having horrible issues seeing clearly, and lots of double-vision events. I'm doing all I can right now to do as much artwork as I can, along with photography, two of my favorite hobbies, while I still can see. Hopefully the doc's will find out what's wrong and be able to correct it, but we'll see. Hey, it's just another test, and I'm sure I'll pass this one too!!!

Last edited by Chromenut; 09 Feb 2012 at 02:30 am.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 08:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Unfortunately, there are many stories out there similar to those above...you are not alone and it is not your fault...you did your best with the situation you were handed. Been through the merge, downsize, outsource, layoff routine several times myself. Anybody who believes the 8-9% unemployment numbers has his head in the sand...if you count those who have fallen off the chart and those underemployed working a crappy, low-pay so-called job then the number is two or three times higher. This nation has been in decline for quite a while due to a lack of vision and leadership with no relief in sight. Don't want to turn this into a rant...just want to make the point that there are forces at work here beyond your control and you are doing the best you can.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

X2 to all above. Best wishes. The Society for the Blind could be sorice of help? Prayers
Old 09 Feb 2012, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know if I'd consider this ironic, or just strange, but as a kid my father ran a company called Royal Maid. It started in Hazlehurst, MS, then was bought out by Rubber Maid, and they moved him to Greenville, NC, where he ran the factory for them there. Both of these factories were part of the Lighthouse for the Blind - slogan was "Quality Blind Made Products". I worked during the summer at the handle mill in Hazlehurst, where they made mop and broom handles. Must have had 40 very close friends who were blind. Now, here I am at 50, with a 10 year old daughter who is deaf and blind, and losing my eyesight. Go figure!!!!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sometimes we get trained for the service we are to preform in this life long before we realize who it is we are to serve.