Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Daughter wants a PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Daughter wants a PT Cruiser

Looking at 2006, 2007 or 2008 models with 60 or 70K on the odometer. She'll be commuting to college and part time job.

Are there any major issues to be careful of?
At 60 or 70K, what major maintenance costs will be coming up?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Daughter wants a PT Cruiser

Completely depends on how the vehicles were maintained. Mine for instance, is right in that ballpark, and yet I've only ever had one trouble code and that was due to a loose vacuum line.

I have wrecked it once and blown out the clutch from too much time on the track and the dyno, however it's a wonderful car and as long as you do regular maintenance, keep the oil changed regularly, it'll last you a long, long time.

Course, you're talking about a car going to a young lady, so you might as well write it off....lol... looking for one for my daughter too!
Old 17 Feb 2012, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You want to have the front suspension looked at for wear & tear. Turn the A/C on full at idle and let it sit for 10 minutes. The temperature gauge shouldn't go above half way at any time. Know that at 100K a major maintenance is due for the timing belt and accessories (water pump, drive belts and tensioner). Depending on where it's done could run anywhere from $800 to $1200.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If she's commuting any distance and you're looking for fuel economy, the Cruiser is not for her. There are many more similar size cars with much better fuel economy.

Having said that, we have loved our 06 and only had the camshaft sensor replaced under warranty.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 05:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGlideRider View Post
If she's commuting any distance and you're looking for fuel economy, the Cruiser is not for her. There are many more similar size cars with much better fuel economy.

Having said that, we have loved our 06 and only had the camshaft sensor replaced under warranty.
Yeah I have an 07 PHCE Cruiser with 64000miles and I drive about 2 miles to school and 2 miles back (duh ) Mon-Fri and I can get 17mpg on a good tank.... 15.5 is my average. If she is going to be pretty close to school and is worried about fuel economy then like EGlideRider said it is not for her.

But besides that they are great cars! No problems with mine to report
Another possible maintenance issue (all be it minor) is the drivers power window (mine is starting to go but has not actually stopped .)

Last edited by bonsylrc; 18 Feb 2012 at 05:52 pm.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just bought mine and although it seemed pretty good at the time, I found out it wasn't. But, it does have 135k on it and the previous owner hadn't done much maint. Had I done my homework I would've know what to look for.
First issue was the replacement of the timing belt which includes the water pump, two seals and belt tensioner, which is what started making noise. 800 plus for that to be done. Just had the front end. lower motor mount and rear brakes taken care of which was 1k. Still need two wheels which are bent and the other two motor mounts done. Top one I can do and I'll have the other one done.
But, I do like the car. Handles well and it's kinda peppy. Pretty comfortable for my six ft frame. I get about 26 mpg on the hwy, which is most of my driving time.
With gas goin up and up.. I'd find something else for the daughter that gets better mileage. Just my .02 worth

Last edited by fishntoss; 20 Feb 2012 at 12:08 am.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Completely depends on how the vehicles were maintained. Mine for instance, is right in that ballpark, and yet I've only ever had one trouble code and that was due to a loose vacuum line.

I have wrecked it once and blown out the clutch from too much time on the track and the dyno, however it's a wonderful car and as long as you do regular maintenance, keep the oil changed regularly, it'll last you a long, long time.

Course, you're talking about a car going to a young lady, so you might as well write it off....lol... looking for one for my daughter too!
Not nessarily true, what could be done to prevent the fan motor from going out on alot of our pt's?
Old 23 Feb 2012, 02:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Daughter wants a PT Cruiser

I bought my 04 PT with about 128,000 miles on it and i havent had any major repairs. Just regular maintenance and had to get two rims because the original owner had bent them somehow...
I get between 24 and 30 mpg depending on if i drive in the city or on the highway. great car, very comfortable.
IMO the older models are more comfortable for commuting in because i sometimes am in my moms 08 and the seats are more stiff and uncomfortable