Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'06 Tailgate lock-electric??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2012, 11:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink '06 Tailgate lock-electric??

Ours has stopped working, the rest of the doors work fine, I'm thinking that the electric actuator has gone bad.....looking for opinions and suggestions as to how to check it and or replace it......found 1 on Ebay for $24.00 shipped-a Dorman product.....just don't know if its different from the early Cruisers to the later ones-ours is the first year of the restyled Cruiser ('06) Thanks!!
Old 19 Feb 2012, 02:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: '06 Tailgate lock-electric??

Anyone else have this problem? what a pia it is to use the key each time!
Thanks!
Old 19 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '06 Tailgate lock-electric??

Chromenut has all the parts catalogs listed on this sight, You can down load them and check the part numbers against each other.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

-Well today I ordered a new latch assembly from Mopar Parts spoke with "Mike" who was very knoledgeable and found that this assembly is different from the '01-'05s-it was just $42.77 WHOLESALE and I also ordered a door check because our LF door creeks, they will both be here on Thursday....I'll check back and advise after replacement.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Got the parts today, gonna start with the tailgate unit-anyone done one before? Looking for some pointers....Thanks!
Old 24 Feb 2012, 10:57 am
Regular Cruiser

-Got the electric latch assembly swapped out, pretty straight forward job after removing the cover panel.

BUT, that wasn't my trouble!! the lock still didn't work!! so I spent $42.00 plus shipping for nothing!!
I then jumped the wires going to the soft-touch outside latch and the lock itself responded, so I figure something inside this rediculous soft-touch latch is kinda shorting the lock out and will not allow power to go through it, thought I'd try & save someone else the same headache and $$
So, Now I'm off to find a replacement soft-touch switch!!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 04:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

I posted about the same issue a couple years back. Instead of replacing the switch that seemed like a poor design, I went to radio shack and bought a heavy duty all weather push switch, drilled a hole in the upper area of the "cup", and installed it there. Once wired, it worked like the original. Plus, now I don't have to hunt around for that "just right" spot to actuate the lock, there's a button, and you can feel it.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 05:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Creepy! I think I'll do that next time! I ended up being able to return the latch assembly itself and then buy the soft-touch switch-the soft-touch was $82.00 from Wholesalemopar.com.

Would you by chance have a part number and/or pictures of your Radio Shack button?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

I don't, it's been a while. I can tell you it is an intermittant on switch (only makes connection when pressed), and the "button" is about the diameter of a bic pen. Now that I think about it, it may not have been a weather proof, but the switch is up inside the cup anyway. Reminds me of a reset switch on a computer. I was fortunate that I have one of the rare Radio Shacks nearby that actually still carries componants, and not just toys and phones.
The hardest part of the replacement was cleaning all the tape off the back of the handle and getting enough 3m trim tape on to make sure it wouldn't leak when reapplied. I imagine if you get the mopar handle/switch, it probably comes with the tape already on it.
Either way, good luck with the repair!
Switch pictures by fallenkeep - Photobucket
There's the few pictures I have.

Last edited by CreepyPT; 27 Feb 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Again!! I am assuming that I'm getting the whole darn setup back there for $82.00 (wholesale) it looks like 3 nuts to remove and unplug the old and plug in the new one........just hope it lasts 6 years like the original because my Wife still loves her Cruiser though she doesn't utilize the H.O. turbo very much-thats MY job-lol