Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Solution for Cruise Control not working on 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2012, 01:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Solution for Cruise Control not working on 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

Hello,

I own a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition.

I just bought it used from the car dealer in November 2011. It only had 29,000 miles on it for less than $10,000, which I thought was good.

Anyways, the other day, I was on the highway and I went to turn on my cruise control like I normally do and the cruise control light didn't come on the dash when I pushed the on/off button. I tried turning the engine off and turning back on but still no cruise light. I tried that a couple of times.

After searching the internet, I found a solution that worked for me.

A couple of internet sites said to remove the negative (black) battery cable for a few minutes. They suggested to pump the brake pedals a few times afterwards to get all the power out. I left it unhooked for 20 min.

Then I hooked up the negative (black) battery cable. When I started driving on the highway, I pushed the on/off button on the cruise control and the cruise control light showed up and I was able to use the cruise control as normal.

Just wanted to pass this along if anyone else was having the same issue I was.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser.jpg (28.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 18 Feb 2012, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Solution for Cruise Control not working on 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

Welcome to the forum. Nice PT and sounds like a great deal.

Agree. We tell almost everybody that comes to this forum with a problem to take the negative battery cable off. It resets the computer and takes away any stored old fault codes. It's like hitting the RESTART on your computer. It clears a whole host of problems. Your car might run rough for a minute or so after starting because the computer is re-learning your settings but as long as everything is right with the engine and sensors, it will smooth out and run properly after that.

Pushing on the brake pedal after the negative battery cable is off gets rid of any excess residual charge.
buddyiramae likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Feb 2012 at 08:06 am.
Old 09 Mar 2015, 07:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Solution for Cruise Control not working on 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

I have the same issue, I have tried the disconnecting the battery
but I get nothing on the cruise control, everything else on the car works great, but that cruise control stick is just dead... anyone else have a similar issue?
Old 23 Mar 2015, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

My cruise control also does not work, and the check engine light has come on for the second time in a week (it went off by itself the first time). So, I will try this disconnect right now, before I go anywhere today, and in an hour or so, I'll see if this might not help me.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No joy in Muddville. I disconnected the battery yesterday. And, still no cruise control, the airbag light is still on, and the check engine light is also still on. I guess it's off to the mechanic next.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:13 am
Young Cruiser

My 2006 PT is only the base model so it doesn't even have cruise control, but I would love to get it installed if it is possible.

First-time owner of a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (base model)! Loving it so far and I got it for a steal of a deal!
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmith8288 View Post
My 2006 PT is only the base model so it doesn't even have cruise control, but I would love to get it installed if it is possible.

There is a thread around site somewhere of a user installing a kit.
Maybe someone remembers who it was

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Mar 2015, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Its not a real difficult install if the wiring is already there. I installed it on my 09 several years ago. It does require removal of the steering wheel so the airbag has to be removed.

Other then that its pretty much just plugging stuff in and installing the vacuum reservoir. The install instructions are wrong so if the existing wiring is there you don't do any splicing even though the instructions say too at the plug that goes to the steering wheel.
Old 01 Apr 2015, 12:03 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah when I have the money to do it I'll get one installed. And it may be an easy process but I am a bit mechanically challenged and will need someone to do it for me lol. I don't want to remove the steering wheel and totally damage things. :P

First-time owner of a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (base model)! Loving it so far and I got it for a steal of a deal!
Old 01 Apr 2015, 12:47 am
Cool Cruiser

I recently installed my cruise control fortunately it was pre-wired and all I did was replace the clock spring, install the switch, servo and vac accumulator under the bumper
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 195/65r15
AKA "Banana Car"