PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weird Windshield washer problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weird Windshield washer problem

Hi!

New member here from sweden. My wife has a 2001 PT with a weird problem. Her windshield washer doesnt work, but if I use the rear window washer the front one works one time. Hence I need to use the rear one each time I need to use the front one.

Anyone heard of this strange phenomenon?

Ive tried searching or finding a manual that would enlighten me on the subject, but so far nothing.

Thanks in advance.
/Daniel
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Weird Windshield washer problem

Daniel, welcome to the forum.

Looks like you may be doing some digging around. The washer fluid reservoir is under/behind the passenger side cowl grill screen. Just a couple small screws (maybe Torx) that hold it on. Check the rubber tubes that go to the front and rear washers for any kind of blockage or kinks in the tubing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 02:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Weird Windshield washer problem

AFIK, BOTH front and rear nozzles use the fluid from the same resivoir.
You might want to check to see if you hear the pump running when you try the front washers......if you DO hear the pump running then your NOZZLES have rotted and fallen apart!! I've replaced SEVERAL on our '06 that we bought new in April of '07-Dealer only at near $20.00 each for the part alone, I finally get aftermarket units that are metal for under $10.00 a kit of 2.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replys!

Im just thinking, wouldnt it be an electrical problem if it acts the way it does?

After Ive run the rear, the front works perfectly fine until i release the the lever for washing. No irregularity of any kind, its always the same.

Is it seperate pumps for front and rear?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a run in it today and Ill have to revise my previous statements. After Ive run the rear, the front will work in all ways possible until i've stopped for a few seconds.

So, yeah, Im also leaning towards dirt in the tank. Will check it out tomorrow if I have the time