PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HEATED SEATS INSTALL

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Dear Folks,

I have a base PT Curuiser, 2006....I would like to upload pics....I'll see if I can figure that out.....Anyway, My question is this:

I found a set of heated seats in a junkyard...BEAUTIFUL Dark Grey LEATHER...20 dollars a piece for any seat in the house at this U-Pull it Junkyard..(I just got a brand new rear tray/table for 8.30...YES, 8 dollars!) and I would like to install these seats as the fabric on mine is a bit dingy, and a leather upgrade would be swell........The switch is on the seat. I assume the plug from the seat to the wiring harnass is in under the seat, BUT>>>>and here's my big but.......is the wiring harnass the same on a base PT? Will I find a pigtail connector to connect these heated seats to? or 2 pigtails? (One for power seats, one for heated seats) Does the base PT use a different wiring harnass?, AND is the fuse box set up for this?.......My guess is no since this is a cheap car, AND the BASE model. A BENZ might be set up that way, but I doubt a 13,000 car. Still, I don't know, and if anyone know for sure one way or another, please advise. I want to get these seats this weekend.....2-25-12

If not, it's still cool, getting leather seats for 80$ is a steal to me..., and maybe I can figure out how to lower the stock seat in the process....



Any help would be great...I see since I posted this there was a very similar question....10 guys answered, wrote long and hard, but essentially didn't know...If you don't know for sure one way or another, please don't answer...Thanks, it just clutters up the thread....Maybe an easy way is to see if the fuse block is set up to take a fuse fror heated seats...sometimes the slot is there, but no metal connectors....if the metal is there, it's a maybe, if no metal for a fuse, then it's no for sure.....

Last edited by Colonel_Hogan; 22 Feb 2012 at 10:04 am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

I dont know anything about your seats, but I like how you have your PT themed.

I am not much on stickers and not into making a Pt look like an older vehicle from the 40's.

Yours, however, is quite creative and I like it, maybe its due to the lack of chrome....hmmmm maybe

Seriously though, I like your theme
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm
GinPa's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 901
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Hi Colonel_Hogan, I can't help on the wiring question but I think $80.00 for good seats is a deal. And I have the dark leather {heated seats ROCK} they seem to have held up nicely. I would grab them.
__________________
2005 GT convertible/turbo
47000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm
mdfrodolives's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,313
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

My wife tells me that when she turns on the heat to her seats, it feels like she just wet her pants. Personally, I've never turned on the switch to see if she's just messing with me.

If I were you, I'd just hook up the seats and be glad they're a nice leather (especially since you got them for so cheap). You don't really need the heat, do you?

One other issue, however: Do those new leather seats have the side airbags? If so, what are you going to do about that?

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2012, 10:29 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Most likely not on the wireing. But It's a no brain'er. Get'm and wire them in. If your in the north you will want them wired. You wont be mistaken for anybody else.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2012, 11:41 am
GinPa's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 901
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
My wife tells me that when she turns on the heat to her seats, it feels like she just wet her pants. Personally, I've never turned on the switch to see if she's just messing with me.

If I were you, I'd just hook up the seats and be glad they're a nice leather (especially since you got them for so cheap). You don't really need the heat, do you?

One other issue, however: Do those new leather seats have the side airbags? If so, what are you going to do about that?

Tim
LOL, OMG so true. I still can't use high. It helps to were a long coat. But low is nice.
__________________
2005 GT convertible/turbo
47000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2012, 07:34 pm
fabreezai's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norad Colorado
Posts: 714
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Want to do the same to Mater, go for it! In addition to the seats, make sure you get the heated seat controller. I believe it's located under the drivers seat, looks like an ecu, seats will not work without it.
__________________
Cheers! 2003 2.4, N/A, Touring, Supercharged, 5 speed. 126k..... Blew up that engine, building another to take the boost! Built a new engine, still working out some issuess.......
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2012, 09:30 pm
sanatanadharma's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,070
Default Long post re: heated seat module

From a shop manual (2004):

"One heated seat module is used per vehicle to control both front heated seats. The heated seat module is located on the passenger seat cushion pan, where it is secured with two push-in type plastic fasteners. The module is encased within a small, rectangular, molded plastic housing with a single connector receptacle that allows it to be connected to all of the required inputs and outputs through the power seat wire harness. The heated seat module is a electronic microprocessor controlled device that is designed to monitor the inputs and control the outputs of the heated seat system. The heated seat module is programmed to provide two levels of heating for each front seat. The Low temperature set point is about 36° C (97° F) and the High temperature set point is about 41° C (105° F). The heated seat module is also programmed to perform some self-diagnosis. If the module detects a shorted or open heating element or a NTC heated seat sensor out of range the module will flash the heated seat switch indicator LED’s, to inform the mechanic or operator that a problem exists with the heated seat system. Refer to heated seat system diagnosis and testing for additional information. The heated seat module cannot be adjusted or repaired. If a module is damaged or faulty, the entire module must be replaced."
"OPERATION
The heated seat module operates on battery current received through a fuse in the Junction Block (JB) on a fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit so that the heated seat system will only operate when the ignition switch is in the On or Accessory positions. The heated seat module is grounded at all times through a ground feed from a two wire take out and eyelet terminal connector of the power seat wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the top of the seat cross member under each front seat. Inputs to the heated seat module include a seat heater switch MUX circuit for each of the two heated seat switches, heated seat sensor inputs from the seat cushions of each front seat, and battery current from the power seat circuit breaker in the JB received through the energized heated seat relay on two heated seat relay output circuits. Outputs from the heated seat module include a battery voltage reference to the heated seat sensors on a sensor feed circuit, a battery current feed to the two heated seat element circuits on separate heated seat driver circuits, And separate Lo and Hi driver circuits for each of the heated seat switch Light-Emitting Diode (LED) indicator lamps.
When a driver or passenger heated seat switch request signal is received by the heated seat module, the module energizes the proper switch LED indicator
lamp (Lo or Hi) by pulling the LED driver circuit to ground. This provides an indication to the vehicle operator that the heated seat system is operating and whether the Hi or Lo heat mode is selected. At the same time, the heated seat module energizes the heated seat sensor feed circuit and the sensor provides the module with a heat sense input indicating the surface temperature of the selected seat cushion. If the seat cushion surface temperature input is below the temperature set point for the selected heat
mode, the heated seat module energizes an N-channel Field Effect Transistor (N-FET) within the module. The N-FET switches battery current to the heated seat elements in the selected seat cushion and back. When the heated seat sensor input indicates the correct temperature set point has been achieved, the heated seat module de-energizes the N-FET which switches off the battery current to the heated seat elements. The heated seat module will continue to cycle the N-FET as needed to maintain the selected temperature set point. If the heated seat module detects a heated seat sensor value input that is out of range or a shorted or open heated seat element circuit, it will automatically de-energize the N-FET and switch off the battery current to the affected heated seat elements. The heated seat module will also notify the vehicle operator or the repair technician of this condition by flashing the Hi and/or Lo LED indicator lamps in the affected heated seat switch in a prescribed sequence as a self-diagnostic feedback. Refer to Diagnosis and Testing for the proper heated seat system diagnosis
and testing procedures."

"REMOVAL
WARNING: THERE ARE MANY SHARP METAL EDGES ON THE SEAT CUSHION FRAME AND SEAT ADJUSTER RAILS UNDER THE SEAT. WHEN PERFORMING THIS SERVICE, A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT AND GLOVES SHOULD BE WORN IN ORDER TO AVOID UNNECESSARY CUTS AND ABRASIONS TO EXPOSED SKIN.
(1) Move the passenger power seat to its full up and full rear stop positions.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable.
(3) Working under the seat, release the two plastic push-in fasteners from either the module or the mounting holes in the power seat cushion pan.
(4) Disconnect the power seat wire harness connector from the heated seat module connector receptacle.
(5) Remove the heated seat module from the power seat track.
INSTALLATION
(1) If the two plastic push-in fasteners for the heated seat module were damaged during removal, install new fasteners onto the heated seat module.
(2) Reconnect the power seat wire harness connector to the heated seat module connector receptacle. Be certain that the cavities in the power seat wire harness connector are aligned with the terminals in the heated seat module connector receptacle before pushing the connector firmly into place.
(3) Install the heated seat module on the power seat cushion pan.
(4) Reconnect the battery negative cable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Want to do the same to Mater, go for it! In addition to the seats, make sure you get the heated seat controller. I believe it's located under the drivers seat, looks like an ecu, seats will not work without it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:14 pm
fabreezai's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norad Colorado
Posts: 714
Default Re: Long post re: heated seat module

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
From a shop manual (2004):

"One heated seat module is used per vehicle to control both front heated seats. The heated seat module is located on the passenger seat cushion pan, where it is secured with two push-in type plastic fasteners. The module is encased within a small, rectangular, molded plastic housing with a single connector receptacle that allows it to be connected to all of the required inputs and outputs through the power seat wire harness. The heated seat module is a electronic microprocessor controlled device that is designed to monitor the inputs and control the outputs of the heated seat system. The heated seat module is programmed to provide two levels of heating for each front seat. The Low temperature set point is about 36° C (97° F) and the High temperature set point is about 41° C (105° F). The heated seat module is also programmed to perform some self-diagnosis. If the module detects a shorted or open heating element or a NTC heated seat sensor out of range the module will flash the heated seat switch indicator LED’s, to inform the mechanic or operator that a problem exists with the heated seat system. Refer to heated seat system diagnosis and testing for additional information. The heated seat module cannot be adjusted or repaired. If a module is damaged or faulty, the entire module must be replaced."
"OPERATION
The heated seat module operates on battery current received through a fuse in the Junction Block (JB) on a fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit so that the heated seat system will only operate when the ignition switch is in the On or Accessory positions. The heated seat module is grounded at all times through a ground feed from a two wire take out and eyelet terminal connector of the power seat wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the top of the seat cross member under each front seat. Inputs to the heated seat module include a seat heater switch MUX circuit for each of the two heated seat switches, heated seat sensor inputs from the seat cushions of each front seat, and battery current from the power seat circuit breaker in the JB received through the energized heated seat relay on two heated seat relay output circuits. Outputs from the heated seat module include a battery voltage reference to the heated seat sensors on a sensor feed circuit, a battery current feed to the two heated seat element circuits on separate heated seat driver circuits, And separate Lo and Hi driver circuits for each of the heated seat switch Light-Emitting Diode (LED) indicator lamps.
When a driver or passenger heated seat switch request signal is received by the heated seat module, the module energizes the proper switch LED indicator
lamp (Lo or Hi) by pulling the LED driver circuit to ground. This provides an indication to the vehicle operator that the heated seat system is operating and whether the Hi or Lo heat mode is selected. At the same time, the heated seat module energizes the heated seat sensor feed circuit and the sensor provides the module with a heat sense input indicating the surface temperature of the selected seat cushion. If the seat cushion surface temperature input is below the temperature set point for the selected heat
mode, the heated seat module energizes an N-channel Field Effect Transistor (N-FET) within the module. The N-FET switches battery current to the heated seat elements in the selected seat cushion and back. When the heated seat sensor input indicates the correct temperature set point has been achieved, the heated seat module de-energizes the N-FET which switches off the battery current to the heated seat elements. The heated seat module will continue to cycle the N-FET as needed to maintain the selected temperature set point. If the heated seat module detects a heated seat sensor value input that is out of range or a shorted or open heated seat element circuit, it will automatically de-energize the N-FET and switch off the battery current to the affected heated seat elements. The heated seat module will also notify the vehicle operator or the repair technician of this condition by flashing the Hi and/or Lo LED indicator lamps in the affected heated seat switch in a prescribed sequence as a self-diagnostic feedback. Refer to Diagnosis and Testing for the proper heated seat system diagnosis
and testing procedures."

"REMOVAL
WARNING: THERE ARE MANY SHARP METAL EDGES ON THE SEAT CUSHION FRAME AND SEAT ADJUSTER RAILS UNDER THE SEAT. WHEN PERFORMING THIS SERVICE, A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT AND GLOVES SHOULD BE WORN IN ORDER TO AVOID UNNECESSARY CUTS AND ABRASIONS TO EXPOSED SKIN.
(1) Move the passenger power seat to its full up and full rear stop positions.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable.
(3) Working under the seat, release the two plastic push-in fasteners from either the module or the mounting holes in the power seat cushion pan.
(4) Disconnect the power seat wire harness connector from the heated seat module connector receptacle.
(5) Remove the heated seat module from the power seat track.
INSTALLATION
(1) If the two plastic push-in fasteners for the heated seat module were damaged during removal, install new fasteners onto the heated seat module.
(2) Reconnect the power seat wire harness connector to the heated seat module connector receptacle. Be certain that the cavities in the power seat wire harness connector are aligned with the terminals in the heated seat module connector receptacle before pushing the connector firmly into place.
(3) Install the heated seat module on the power seat cushion pan.
(4) Reconnect the battery negative cable."
I have been corrected! Thanks Sanatana, I remember reading about the controller somewhere in my research. I knew it was under a seat, was not sure which one. Thanks for clarifying1
__________________
Cheers! 2003 2.4, N/A, Touring, Supercharged, 5 speed. 126k..... Blew up that engine, building another to take the boost! Built a new engine, still working out some issuess.......
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2012, 02:22 pm
bandaide's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 68
Default Re: HEATED SEATS INSTALL

Not sure if Colonel_Hogan's questions were answered but mine sure were. And I didn't even have to post the question. Thanks! I've got a passenger's seat with the flashing indicator lights and now have a pretty good idea what's up. Thanks sanatanadharma and fabreezai for the helpful info.

Since I've also got a drawer under that seat that is difficult to open, I'm expecting to find a loose plug or wire damage given the other issues I've come across on this car.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heated seats gonzomania Interior Accessories Forum 11 25 Oct 2017 11:44 am
Want to install heated leather seats! meder2487 Interior Accessories Forum 7 22 Feb 2012 09:51 am
heated seats waynshar Interior Accessories Forum 2 29 Jan 2012 08:47 pm
Heated Seats install PTCMIAH62 Tech & Performance Forum 10 22 Feb 2011 09:57 am
heated seats?? Punch General Turbo Discussions 7 09 Jan 2004 12:07 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors