Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm scared! :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2012, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I'm scared! :(

Hello... I just bought a 2007 Touring edition PT cruiser. It has around 64K miles and it looks great inside and out.
When we test drove it the seat belt light was on and it kept dinging. The Dealer said it was a problem where the seat belt clicks and got we fixed so we bought the car.
Now this is whats happening, when I turn the car on after it's been parked for a while the "Low engine oil pressure" light comes on. To make it go off all I need to do id turn the car off and back on again.
Yesterday in the middle of the day the Engine light came on and while I was driving it wouldn't change gears (it's automatic).

Now I've been doing a lot of reading and found a lot of complaints about PT's and how they have tons of electrical problems and because of that sometimes they catch on fire. I have 2 children and I'm worried to death of driving this car.

I've owned it since 2/19 should I just trade it in?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 04:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: I'm scared! :(

There's two issues-

First, sounds like it's just the oil pressure sender. Ensure oil is full and clean-
If there were no oil pressure, the engine would be clattering.

Second problem, these guys are going to have to help you with, I don't know much about Auto's, but they seem to have it down.

Third, your car's not going to burn down. Cars all have gasoline and oil; under
certain circumstances any of them can and will burn; Catalytic converters will start grass fires, etc., etc.
All of these circumstances are very, very rare.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT catching on fire is the least of your worries. Your more likely to get hit by lightning than have your car catch fire.

As UptownSport already mentioned, there's probably a bad oil pressure sensor as far as the light coming on but not shifting gears is another story. How about the place where you bought the car from? Any guarantee come with it? If so get it back to him/her and say you want it fixed. That's the most worrisome fault you need to get fixed. When the engine light came on, there should be a fault code stored in the computer that can help anyone that's going to fix it. Hopefully it's just something like the trans solenoid. Easy fix ...but not for you. Get the dealer or whoever sold it to you to fix it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 05:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Get the dealer or whoever sold it to you to fix it.
If I'm reading this correctly you have only had the vehicle for a couple of days. I would do what Crewzin said and fast, before too much time goes by and they claim that its a problem that started after you drove the vehicle.

Dealership sounds shady to me for the car to be this problematic within days of selling it (unless they hold up to their end and fix everything). Document every problem you have somehow and pester them until something happens to your favor from the dealership. Also I would start looking into the lemon law just in case (doesn't hurt to be informed).

The absolute last thing (ultimately last resort) for you should be to fix at your own cost or trade in at a damage to your wallet.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto... the electrical problems that the PT's have are not that bad, and I've never heard nor seen one catch fire. The only way that's going to happen is if you're spewing oil or gas on the hot exhaust header. Sounds like your car is also in 'limp' mode, meaning the computer thinks something bad is wrong and won't allow it to function 'normally'. I'd say they didn't take care of that car before selling it to you.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Ditto... the electrical problems that the PT's have are not that bad, and I've never heard nor seen one catch fire. The only way that's going to happen is if you're spewing oil or gas on the hot exhaust header. Sounds like your car is also in 'limp' mode, meaning the computer thinks something bad is wrong and won't allow it to function 'normally'. I'd say they didn't take care of that car before selling it to you.
Like Chromenut said, If the car thinks there is no oil pressure then it most likely did go into limp mode. As Uptownsport said probably a faulty sensor. This may be why an individual traded it in for. And most likely did not mention this. I love these people like Ankit who love to put all the blame on the seller when they themselves would be the first in line to pawn there problem on dealer without even telling them about it. The first to scream lemon law.
The friction with the payment book has burned more cars than all other causes combined. So relax it's probably something simple.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:10 pm
Banned

Nah you have nothing to worry about
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

Nah you have nothing to worry about
That's one out of how many million pt cruisers built? How many prescription drugs have you refused because of those commercials about side affects? Which by the way have a higher probability rate than a car let alone a PT catching fire. There is not a car model made that has not had a fire in this country. Besides you have twice the likely hood as she for a fire. You own two.
Lets be realistic, nobody has seen any smoke yet. Parts fail & get replaced.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Forget the burning-PT video. Why it was put here, I can't imagine. It will only make you worry.

Some do-it-yourselfers work on their car's fuel systems and don't use the right fuel lines; or tighten up the fuel-line connections properly. I have never heard of a PT Cruiser burning up until I saw this video a while back.

Don't let it bug you.

But take that car back and tell them you want a new oil-sending unit installed. Also, tell them to fix the transmission problem.

Tim
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Forget the burning-PT video. Why it was put here, I can't imagine. It will only make you worry.

Some do-it-yourselfers work on their car's fuel systems and don't use the right fuel lines; or tighten up the fuel-line connections properly. I have never heard of a PT Cruiser burning up until I saw this video a while back.

Don't let it bug you.

But take that car back and tell them you want a new oil-sending unit installed. Also, tell them to fix the transmission problem.

Tim
I here ya. Fix the oil thing and the trany problem most likely will be fixed. Glad I'm not the only one perturbed about the video. For all we know it was the only way to get out of debt.