PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need Help Finding RKE Module

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need Help Finding RKE Module

Hey all,
New to the forum, however I have read as many threads relating to these nasty Keyless Entry Systems as I could until my eyes are about to bleed! I have also made numerous trips back out to the shop to try and locate the source of the following issue...

We bought a 2002 Cruiser with 67000 miles on it about a month ago. The car seemed to be very well maintained and cleaned....HOWEVER, like a big dumba$$ I failed to check the power door locks! It was not until we got home we realized they did not work. Here are the usual details people on here provide...

I have checked the batteries on the remote FOB and they are both good (3v+ each)
The switches inside the car do not actuate the door locks either.
There is no "CLICKING" sound from the RKE Module (this might help me locate the rascal) when the switches or the FOB swithces are actuated.
Fuse #3 in dash fuse panel is good.
Power to fuse #3 is good.
I tried doing the Ignition On FOB reset test...no dice
Lights at switches (when headlight switch is on) are illuminated
I have removed the glove box....where is this module exactly???!!!

BTW....Haynes Manual for these cars is, except for the wiring diagragm an absolute joke. The description of the RKE System and subsequent troubleshooting seems written by moron...no details where components are located. No details in manual how to access system components...

Sorry for the long post....thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need Help Finding RKE Module

It's behind the dash above the air vents.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK...that was a quick reply WOW! THANKS!

Now, I have read in some threads were people have found the problem to be corroded or loose connections...

Any way to test the module whether it is good or bad?

Thanks again!!!
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No, I would think you need some sort of scanner to put the system through it's program to see if it's all working. Failing that, the dealer would just replace it rather than mess around with it.

I can tell you from reading a million threads on this forum, that a lot of people thought they had a bad RKE and found the problem they were having was the module, relay or something to do with the locks themselves instead of the RKE. Of course it depends on the problem. Very few modules had to be replaced.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 02:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Having had the joy of changing the instrument cluster bulbs, let me give you a heads up on getting to the RKE. It's on the way in.

Pull the A pillar trim pieces on both sides, they snap in. Remove the window switch module from the dash, it snaps in. Remove the trim piece around the radio and HVAC controls, it snaps in. Locate the two screws in the upper corners of the outer center trim and remove them. Pull the outer center trim off, it snaps in. Most importantly at this point. Pull the top dash cover straight back, it snaps in. DO NOT lift upwards while pulling this, you will break every clip and pin holding it in place with very little effort.

You may need to drop the steering wheel down using the adjustment lever on the left of the column.

Good luck. I spent three weeks supergluing mine back together but the RKE was right there on top of the dash in the open for those three weeks.

I'd look into lubricating the locking mechanisms and making sure they are getting sufficient power before replacing this module. They really don't screw up often. Sometimes it's as simple as retraining them.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent thread thank you all for this information. Now at least I know how to get at it. Mine is making noise as if the rke is working and supplying power to a relay but the power is not making out of the relay. I'm wondering if it could be a bad connection. I'll give it a try and post up my findings.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any news on the issue cause my remote isn't working either.
Checked th No.10 fuse, what next?
Old 31 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesitisg View Post
Any news on the issue cause my remote isn't working either.
Checked th No.10 fuse, what next?
You checked the #10 fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment but there's also another fuse in the fuse box in the interior. Don't have my PT home right now but if you look on the lid of the interior fuse box it will say RKE for one of the fuses.

Old 31 Mar 2012, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I only checked visually I ll get an ohm meter and check them on Monday..

Thanks..
Old 07 Aug 2012, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Need Help Finding RKE Module

Hi, just joined forum and need your sage advice.....
2001 cruiser keeps unlocking it's self whilst driving,and stationary, and appears to be draining the brand new battery (after killing the expensive Bosch one I bought 4 years before its warranty ran out !)

The two things may not be linked but I read on one thread about rke issues draining the battery ...

Keep having to disconnect battery after arriving or parking so I know I'll have a charge to start the bloody car with when I leave!

Any help on diagnostics welcomed.

Dan