Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LED Underglow Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2012, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile LED Underglow Help

Just got some LED underglow for my 01 PT Cruiser and i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to install this because im clueless and the directions the kit came with was about 5 bullet points. iI uploaded a picture of my kit and any help would be appreciated especially mounting the lights. Also this is my new account because i could not log in to my old account, iidropyouu. Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led strip.jpg (97.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 27 Feb 2012, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LED Underglow Help

OK, mine were quite a bit different as the LED's were in long straight rigid tubes whereas your are flexible black tube things. Are there any sticky sides to those black LED tubes? Something has to be in the complete package that makes those tubes stick or be able to hold onto wherever your going to put them. Since mine were rigid they came with metal rings that went around the tubes and then screwed into any available place a screw go to. The electrical wires on your tubes should be of different lengths because the tube that goes at the back of the car needs to be long enough to reach the front of the car and into the controller. Each wire plugs into some sort of junction box and then the box has a wire that goes to a controller or a switch depending on which kit you have. Mine have 5 different colored lights and the controller makes them light up in 1001 different combinations.

Don't know why you couldn't log into your old account.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The only thing i got were screws to attach the little box to the car nothing for the led itself. Any ideas on how i could do this securely and just one question did you use 16 gauge wire because i need extensions for my wires but they dont tell me what kind of wire it is. This is a very bad kit ... got it from ebay.Thank you.

edit***
The directions say drill the leds to my chassis with the pre-drilled holes but there are no holes on the leds to screw to the chassis.

Last edited by 01Limited; 27 Feb 2012 at 05:23 pm.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, sounds like your "kit" isn't complete. Without getting a good look/feel of what the black tubes are made of it's hard to guess how to put them on and I didn't have to add any wire so don't know what gauge to tell you to use. You might want to spend a couple bucks and have a stereo shop or audio accessory place put them on for you. They have all the tools, screws and wires to finish off the "kit".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so i got this problem resolved with attaching the light to the car. I used clamps with screws and washers, i left a picture of how i did it. Any recommendations for attaching them in the front of the car. I watched a video where someone screwed their to their radiator ... which seemed like a bad idea to me. The wire i determines was 16 gauge wire used to connect to the battery. Thank You.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led clamps.jpg (103.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Same with the back, look for a spot about 3 or 4 feet apart that you can drill a small hole and stretch the light bar under the front and rear bumper.

Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ThanK You for your help so far. I was not able to install today because i had to go to the hardware store and witht he help of my dad we devised this plan to do this. I pretty much know how to finish it now but im not sure if i should weather proof my wires. Or how to do that for that matter. Thany You.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can buy yourself a few feet of wire loom tubing for the wires.

Wire loom, Cable tubing, Wire organizer from Cable Organizer

Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We were trying to find this at the hardware store today, i might hsve to get some from online. Thanks for the Link.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 08:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Limited View Post
We were trying to find this at the hardware store today, i might hsve to get some from online. Thanks for the Link.

Any auto parts store will have loom