Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can't fuel car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2012, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can't fuel car

A couple of months ago my teenager started complaining that no matter what he did it took forever to get any gas into his Cruiser. I thought he was exaggerating until I took it for tires and shocks the other day. No matter what I did, the pump wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I've never experienced anything like this. Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I finally found another thread. It's either a simple matter of letting it vent (doubtful as it didn't do this in the past) or the vent is blocked.

"PC": The delusional belief that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 27 Feb 2012 at 07:45 pm.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can't fuel car

LMAO That PC thing brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't even tell my wife what I was laughing about.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

06,PT 99,000 2.4 non turbo

I have found several times when it happens to me that it's the Gas Pump,some are very touchy with back pressure(a unit inside the handle). Try a different pump or several before accusing the PT.
Yes, dealers will replace your whole fuel system if they think they can.Times are tough and we are sitting ducks.
Also IF your in the habit of multiclicking when it's full to many different times in a row the evaporator canister will fill with fuel and the system will think it's full. STOP at first click if it's ESTIMATED you have filled it. They ony hold 13 gals. tops. This is a common problem with all vehicles people try to squeeze a little more in and wonder why there vehicles run like crap for awhile.
IF you live in the Northern hemisphere that runs Ethenol @ 10% you do not need to put additives in the gasoline constantly unless you store the vehicle.It will do no good no matter what the advertisments or the bottle tells you, proven fact.Now diesels are a different story they will gel in sub temperatures.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
06,PT 99,000 2.4 non turbo

They ony hold 13 gals. tops.
Our PT tanks have a 15 gallon capapcity.

Jerry
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
A couple of months ago my teenager started complaining that no matter what he did it took forever to get any gas into his Cruiser. I thought he was exaggerating until I took it for tires and shocks the other day. No matter what I did, the pump wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I've never experienced anything like this. Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I finally found another thread. It's either a simple matter of letting it vent (doubtful as it didn't do this in the past) or the vent is blocked.
my car does this too. drives me frikkin' INSANE! some days i leave the station after only managing to get a gallon in there. today i was going to fill my car but i only managed to get about 3 gallons in there before i was too annoyed to continue. there is no way it's a vent issue. i pulled the vent line off the purge canister and blew through it. i tried filling it with the vent line disconnected after blowing through it to make sure it was clear. there has got to be something in the fill tube. when you put tampons in the gas tank this happens. that's the whole deal with the tampon trick, people think the car is full and the guage is wrong because it clicks like it is full, then they run out of gas. the only other thing i can think of is the fuel sock came off the pump and is blocking the fill tube. i can hear the tube filling with gas, i can tell when it's about to click. it does this at every gas station i go to. it does it with the pump nozzle all the way in, part way in, angled in. nothing matters. i reamed mine out with a coat hanger and it was better for about a month. today it's doing it again. time to bust out the coat hanger again i suppose.. grumble. i think my issue is something came loose in there due to my amazing driving.

if i ever get annoyed enough to drop the tank and figure it out, i will let you know exactly what the problem is.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Mar 2012 at 11:32 am.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 07:34 pm
Banned

Jack up that rear side of the car and use jack stand if available. Then crawl under car and check to make sure that the small diameter "vent hose" is still attached at the top and bottom of the hose itself. This is the element that controlls the pressure in the fill pipe. You can't miss it. It runs along side of the filler pipe. Just a thought.

Jerry
Old 26 Mar 2012, 08:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

IMHO-

Most cars have a "flapper" in the tank, like a check valve at the end of the filler tube. It's there to prevent fuel from pouring out of the tank through the filler tube in case of a rollover. You could be having problems with it. Just my $0.02.
Hope it helps.