PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

fuel pump relay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2012, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default fuel pump relay

need to replace fuel pump relay on 06 pt cruiser. Can someone tell me where to look. not in fuse box.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: fuel pump relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by izcom2002 View Post
need to replace fuel pump relay on 06 pt cruiser. Can someone tell me where to look. not in fuse box.
Supposedly it's mounted on the fuel pump, which happens to be in the fuel tank. Good luck with that. I'm not positive of it but will PM you some info.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good question. Easy on the 01-05 cruisers but difficult on the 06+. According to RockAuto where a lot of us get our parts this is a fuel pump relay for a 2006 PT Cruiser.....

Now all you have to do is find it. There are some relays on the firewall of your cruiser on the drivers side right below the windshield. Does one of them look like the picture?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 04 Mar 2012, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no. ones the starter relay and the other is auto shut down
Old 31 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm actually having the same issue, as I would love to check and see if it is the relay, as opposed to having to replace the pump itself. Were you able to find the location of the relay, as the "pros" at the local dealerships swore up and down it was in the PDC -which doesn't exist in the 06...
Old 31 Jul 2014, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are correct that you don't have a PDC but you do have an IPM (Integrated Power Module) but unfortunately the fuel pump relay isn't listed separately as they were in the 01-05 cruisers. See other answer under the picture of the IPM.

After a search on the Internet (they never lie ) I found the same question as yours in the "Ask A Chrysler Mechanic" site. Here's his answer:

This vehicle is not equipped with a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump control is done through the TIPM. The TIPM receives an input signal from the PCM. Once the TIPM receives the signal, it will output a 12 volt supply to the fuel pump module turning the pump on.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jul 2014 at 01:13 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Uggh. Well, I just went through the fuse box/TIPM, and all the fuses are golden; I just wish they were actually labelled without acronyms, to tell what they really control and do. I miss the days of being able to actually wrench on a car, as opposed to having to be an electrical engineer...
Old 31 Jul 2014, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Supposedly it's mounted on the fuel pump, which happens to be in the fuel tank. Good luck with that. I'm not positive of it but will PM you some info.
That would defeat the whole purpose of a relay, which is to allow a smaller current (and wire) control a larger current (and wire).
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles