Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CRL? WTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2012, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default CRL? WTF?

I have a blinking message on my Cruiser that blinks CRL, constantly. Ran a search but no hits. Any info on this. I have a 06 Touring Cruiser.
Thanks
Old 02 Mar 2012, 12:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CRL? WTF?

Let me guess - it's on the EVIC display between where your temp and your compass readings are?? Actually, it's not CRL that you're seeing, it's CAL. Your EVIC is telling you that you need to calibrate your compass. Do you have an owner's manual? On the one I have, page 238 shows this message readout.

One thing you need to check on that almost everyone forgets, is to set up your compass variance. Check out chapter 4 of your owner's manual, page 236 in mine, shows the zones that you need to select where you are so that when you calibrate your compass you get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Owner's Manual Page 238
The Cal indicator will come on continuously in the EVIC display to indicate that the compass is now in the calibration mode and that the vehicle can now be driven to calibrate. (A short EVIC button press from the Calibrate Compass (Yes) screen will exit
the EVIC Customer Programmable features, and return it to its normal operating mode). To complete the compass calibration, drive the vehicle in one or more complete 360 degree circles under 5 mph (8 km/h) in an area free from power lines, large metallic objects, until the CAL indicator turns off. The compass will now function normally.
If you don't have an owner's manual, go to the first thread in the Tech/Performance section. There you'll find my post with all the technical docs for the PT.

One item to note - make sure you are not near any metal if you can, while doing the 360's, also do not go fast, go slowwww. Sometimes it takes many tries to get the silly thing to calibrate correctly.

I know my PT was bought at first in Ohio, then transferred here to NC, and the compass was really off because it was set up for the wrong zone.

Hope that helps you! Oh, also I highly suggest you recalibrate your compass once per year - magnetic north took a 6 degree hit this year, so all compasses are off unless recalibrated.

Hey Carey - if you read this I think I should post the procedure for compass calibration and the zones for recalibrating on a separate thread specific to "Compass Calibration" in the technical section so that all members get a notice that they really should calibrate their compasses this year, if not every year. Please let me know your thoughts on that.

Last edited by Chromenut; 02 Mar 2012 at 01:03 am.