Advertisements
Lost key

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2012, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Afton
Question Lost key

I have a 2004 Cruiser, my grand children have lost my one and only key. Does anyone know the best solution? Can the dealer make one with the vin # or do I need a lock smith? Any help greatly appreciated.
Larry

Larry
Old 03 Mar 2012, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Lost key

Pretty sure that's a dealer only thing. They use a "chipped" key. I think they can get you one by the VIN.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 03 Mar 2012, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Afton
Smile Re: Lost key

Thank you for your reply. I called a locksmith who came out and made two chipped keys for 150.00. I should state I did not have a remote for the door lock on this car, just glad to be running again.
Larry

Larry
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think the cheapest alternative is to have a key made at Ace or a similar hardware store. My local ACE store was able to cut a key and program it for me. they guaranteed it would work. They "ONLY" charged $80 for the key; but it was almost half the price of the locksmith and 75% cheaper than the dealer.

Now that I have two keys I can get a cheap one off ebay and program it myself. My local home depot will cut the key for free but they don't guarantee it will turn the car on. If you have two keys you can follow the key programming instructions in the owner's manual.
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

Another reminder of things I need to do. I only got 1 key with mine when I bought it.
uncomn likes this.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz View Post
I think the cheapest alternative is to have a key made at Ace or a similar hardware store. My local ACE store was able to cut a key and program it for me. they guaranteed it would work. They "ONLY" charged $80 for the key; but it was almost half the price of the locksmith and 75% cheaper than the dealer.

Now that I have two keys I can get a cheap one off ebay and program it myself. My local home depot will cut the key for free but they don't guarantee it will turn the car on. If you have two keys you can follow the key programming instructions in the owner's manual.
When you walked into Ace, I'm sure you already had a key for him to make a copy from. That's simple compared to having no key to copy.

Jerry
Old 11 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey you are able to call a locksmith and they are able to do it on the spot. If not the dealership should be able to do it as well. I believe all you have to do is let them know the Vin # and they should be able to do that as well. The dealership I also believe will be more expensive.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkevalocks View Post
Hey you are able to call a locksmith and they are able to do it on the spot. If not the dealership should be able to do it as well. I believe all you have to do is let them know the Vin # and they should be able to do that as well. The dealership I also believe will be more expensive.
Yes. Many locksmiths can do this on the spot. And at least where I live, they are definitely cheaper than the dealership.

But I believe it's a bit more complicated that just plugging the VIN number into a key programmer. On many Chryslers in the era of the PT, the locksmith will have to drill a large hole in the plastic case of the SKIM module. Then that have this little clip that clamps directly to the chip inside. From this they can read this pin number. The advantage to the dealership is that they can just look this number up in a database. Once they have the number, they can then unlock the SKIM module with software via the OBDII port. And then program it to accept a new key. Some locksmiths may have direct access to the Chrysler database now. But I don't know. And this whole thing likely varies from locksmith to locksmith based on the tools they have.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2015 at 02:34 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is a three year old thread BTW. That said. Lock smiths have to pay for software. Very expensive. So many may only have certain manufactures. Mine didn't have Chrysler. So it's a dealer thing. With the excepte cloning s key. I know because I bought and sold one without a key. He towed vehicle there and it cost $375. Plus what he spent towing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Sep 2015, 02:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
On many Chryslers in the era of the PT, the locksmith will have to drill a large hole in the plastic case of the SKIM module. Then that have this little clip that clamps directly to the chip inside. From this they can read this six-digit number.
Cool! Any web information on this? (not so much the way to do it, but even just photos of the operation or the inside of the SKIM module?)
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family