PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT cruiser, Anything to be aware of?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2012, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2001 PT cruiser, Anything to be aware of?

Just that really. I got a 2001 cruiser, is there anything I should be aware of, known faults, anything to look out for?

Just as an aside and rather than creating a new thread, when I put the fan on, there is a ticking sound, I thought the sound should be smooth to be honest, but unsure since this is my first cruiser.

Thanks all.

And I bought a 2001 cruiser due to the hideous way the tax works here in the UK.
Old 04 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser, Anything to be aware of?

Looking at CR and other outlets the first models tend to have the most issues

Their reliability went up in the second gen.

Some would rather trade that reliability for the 1st gens looks.

They are called purists.

Nothing would ever compare to the first gens.

Groans can still be heard of the removal of underseat drawer and losing a horn etc

could be why they didnt produce anymore.

Once you lose your original fan base you are done, Scion Xb comes to mind.

Clever design, low price, popular with the teens and young adults, but that redesign really made the xb lose its cult car feeling.

I like the design of the first gen better, but the interior of the second, particularly the dash

To each his own of course.

Enjoy your PT
Old 05 Mar 2012, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Now for some info you can really use. First of all the fan you mentioned. Check by hand a see if it makes any noise or hits any thing. Check and see that you feel no ruff spots when turning. Some other things that are common to all PTs are lower control arm bushings, tork struts (motor mounts) Upper and lower. The timing belt & water pump thing at around a 100k. The multi switch thing on few. The how to sticky's covers a lot of common fixes. I have a 01 I bought for parts with 200k that rolled in on its last ride with no oil and no antifreeze. Wonder why it died? Check your fluides regularly and enjoy the ride. Danny
Old 05 Mar 2012, 01:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
Just that really. I got a 2001 cruiser, is there anything I should be aware of, known faults, anything to look out for?

Just as an aside and rather than creating a new thread, when I put the fan on, there is a ticking sound, I thought the sound should be smooth to be honest, but unsure since this is my first cruiser.

Thanks all.

And I bought a 2001 cruiser due to the hideous way the tax works here in the UK.
is that the fan for the heat/ac? If that is making noise there could be some debris, like leaves, in the duct work rubbing on the fan. Not sure on how to access the fan however...

The only major issue I have had with mine in the 10 plus years I've owned it was the computer died once and had to be replaced. Everything else I have done as preventative maintenance or upgrades.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 05 Mar 2012, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
is that the fan for the heat/ac? If that is making noise there could be some debris, like leaves, in the duct work rubbing on the fan. Not sure on how to access the fan however...

The only major issue I have had with mine in the 10 plus years I've owned it was the computer died once and had to be replaced. Everything else I have done as preventative maintenance or upgrades.
Didn't think of that fan.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 02:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Horror.

Locks started to lock and unlock on their own today. Why me is all I kept saying.

And then, I was sleeping in the car whilst waiting for someone and the alarms just went off. I really could have died today of heart failure. Not sure why the locks are suddenly doing this.

I vaguely recall seeing a thread on it so will gander at it later.

To be honest, when I open the bonnet I can't see anything, everything is covered with plastic coverings.

Thanks people.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
Horror.

Locks started to lock and unlock on their own today. Why me is all I kept saying.

And then, I was sleeping in the car whilst waiting for someone and the alarms just went off. I really could have died today of heart failure. Not sure why the locks are suddenly doing this.

I vaguely recall seeing a thread on it so will gander at it later.

To be honest, when I open the bonnet I can't see anything, everything is covered with plastic coverings.

Thanks people.
A friend had this issue once. Turned out his son in law had one of his remotes and was just heaving a little fun with him. Short of that check the wiring harness above the exhaust manifold.