Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken Plastic Panel - Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2012, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken Plastic Panel - Replacement

I'm a newcomer to this forum...my first post, so please bear with me if my post is in any way out of line.

My wife's 2004 PT Cruiser Touring has a front panel that recently broke - no idea how other than the black plastic deflector (or what ever it's called) below the front bumper) often catches on a curb when parking front against the curb, and may have done so and pulled enough to break the part when backing off.

Other than the black plastic deflector (for lack of a better name) which has now broken off most of the way across, this post is about the plastic panel that goes across the front, below the bumper, and around the front corners to the front of the wheel well. The break is across the roughly 3" wide seam where the broken plastic panel it attaches to the fender panel (driver's side) adjacent to the outboard edge of the headlight.

The first question is, what is that panel called so I can search the web for a replacement part cost, and also get a cost estimate for labor to replace it? Also, what is that black plastic deflector called?

Secondly, I happened onto a site called AutoMD that lets me enter my zip code, model and needed repair in order to get a cost estimate for the repair. I plan to drop by a local body shop tomorrow for an estimate, but I'd like to go in with some idea of what I might expect. Any help there would be helpful.

I'm reasonable skilled at mechanical work, though not a mechanic or body repair guy by any means. Is this a replacement that I might try myself if the cost is more than I can afford?

I hate to say it, but my fallback, if the repair/replacement is more than I can afford, is to pop rivet a strip of aluminum across the seam to hold it, and also the wheel well liner that has a seam between the section attached to that panel and the one directly above it.

Are there any guides online for this kind of repair? Are there any graphic illustrations that show parts assembly blowup?

Thanks!
Optiker
Old 05 Mar 2012, 01:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Broken Plastic Panel - Replacement

Good news and bad news:

The lower black plastic piece is called an "air dam",part number 05288792AB.
I have seen these on eBay. The link is to a Chrysler Parts business where the air dam is priced at $129.

AIR DAM. Front. for CHRYSLER PT CRUISER (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008) (55274811 )

The other damage that you mention is to the bumper cover. Unfortunately, the bumper cover is one piece that is everything below the headlights and the upper grill. These too are found on eBay.
The 2001-2005 that you want, differs from the 2006-2010.

pt cruiser front bumper cover - fits , -fog, -film | eBay

Here is a link to the 2004 PT Cruiser parts catalog. Go to page 248.

http://www.hugginsnet.com/ptcruiser/...rtsCatalog.pdf

This youtube video will give you some idea of what is needed to remove the front bumper cover.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 05 Mar 2012 at 01:46 am.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 07:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks very much. As you say, good news and bad, but it will give me at least a starting point. The video will be very helpful in deciding what to do.

Optiker
Old 05 Mar 2012, 07:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Broken Plastic Panel - Replacement

-Nows the time to get a custom aftermarket bumper cover with built in fog lights!! have it painted and just swap it out! I don't think they use the factory air dams.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinGT View Post
-Nows the time to get a custom aftermarket bumper cover with built in fog lights!! have it painted and just swap it out! I don't think they use the factory air dams.
He has fog lights now!
Old 05 Mar 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll pass on custom...budget limitations, so looking for lowest possible cost.

I do not have fog lights, but that is also not a priority.

Question...functionally, what's the purpose of the air dam and is it essential?

Thanks!
Optiker
Old 05 Mar 2012, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiker View Post
I'll pass on custom...budget limitations, so looking for lowest possible cost.

I do not have fog lights, but that is also not a priority.

Question...functionally, what's the purpose of the air dam and is it essential?

Thanks!
Optiker
Wow never seen one with out fog lights!
That must be rare.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 08:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

"Definition: Air Dam; A front spoiler mounted beneath the bumper and shaped to reduce the airflow under the car. Air dams can increase the airflow to radiators, reduce aerodynamic drag, and/or reduce lift."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiker View Post
...Question...functionally, what's the purpose of the air dam and is it essential?
Thanks!
Optiker
Old 05 Mar 2012, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
"Definition: Air Dam; A front spoiler mounted beneath the bumper and shaped to reduce the airflow under the car. Air dams can increase the airflow to radiators, reduce aerodynamic drag, and/or reduce lift."
This peace also makes the connection between the bumper and the the core support.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 09:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

By 2005, the fog lights were no longer standard on the Touring Edition.
About the fog lights, I have not been able to find definitive details about their inclusion in the 2004 Touring standard features.

EDIT:
The following site says, Touring adds these features to the Base model:
"Cruise control, Power mirrors, Power door locks ,Remote keyless entry, AM/FM/CD player ,Illuminated visor mirrors, Overhead console, Outside-temperature indicator, Compass, Map lights, Appearance and Miscellaneous, Deep-tinted rear glass (wagon), FOG LIGHTS,, Touring Suspension, 205/55TR16 tires, Alloy wheels"

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Standard Equipment - Consumer Guide Automotive

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 05 Mar 2012 at 10:02 pm.