PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Have a chance to aquire another pt, should I?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Have a chance to aquire another pt, should I?

I have the chance to purchase a 2001 pt cruiser limited for $500. I havent seen it yet but the seller simply says he went to crank it one day and the car wouldnt start. He doesnt know cars but hes describing it as a seized engine.

He says everything else on it is good as far as he knows... I am in good financial shape to easily spend 500 on the pt.

My main question is... Should I jump on the deal? I imagine I could get my 500 back easily by parting it out...

Second question is what should I do to the pt to get an idea of what would be needed to fix it to find out if its even worth repairing. Im looking for on the spot tricks for when I go and look at it. Itd be great to peek under the timing belt cover and see the belts broke, but are there and sounds I could listen for while attempting to start it or anything?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Have a chance to aquire another pt, should I?

First I would check if it spins over, if it does then the engine is not seized and there is another problem. If you turn the key and it does not spin over you need to make sure it's not a electrical problem, starter, battery, battery terminals, fuses, etc. An easy way to tell if the timing belt is broken is by doing a compression check. For $500 I personally would take it as long as it's not a rust bucket. Just my $0.02.

Let us know if you get it and post some pics!
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
First I would check if it spins over, if it does then the engine is not seized and there is another problem. If you turn the key and it does not spin over you need to make sure it's not a electrical problem, starter, battery, battery terminals, fuses, etc. An easy way to tell if the timing belt is broken is by doing a compression check. For $500 I personally would take it as long as it's not a rust bucket. Just my $0.02.

Let us know if you get it and post some pics!
Dead on it!!
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds good... The seller mentioned the leather seats are in great condition and it has new motor mounts and some motor mount sensor or something, oh and two new tires

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 11 Mar 2012, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you get it, I need the dash top if it's not cracked...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 11 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If the front seats are heated I'll take those!
Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Spoke with the seller today, they had a freak accident and ended up in the hospital, ill be meeting with them soon.

In other news I found a 2003 black base pt where the guy hit a deer on the front. The bad? Needs new fenders, bumper, grill, headlights, radiator, battery, fan, airbags, and paint (maaco perhaps or if i fall in love with it maybe a real paint job). He wanted to fix it but just didnt have the time. The plus of this car is its in beautiful shape on the inside and only has 61551 miles on it... The price? $1500

The only downfall is that after the car sittin in his yard for a year it no longer starts. He hooked up a battery and I checked the fuel rail and no gas was squirting out of it. It cranked right up when he sprayed intake cleaner in it but died when he stopped spraying. Maybe a fuel pump or relay issue? Would anything else cause it? He said it did work and he drove it to his house where it now has sat for a year.

Does anyone think this pt sounds like it may be worth it? Im still going to look at the $500 one but I dont know much about it besides that its a 2001 limited and the issue is the engines seized (atleast thats what the seller thinks).

Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why not Dill,
A person can't have too many PT's.....I wish I had another one....I have too much trouble
getting this one away from my wife to do anything to it...LOL PTpreacher
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:26 am
Banned

I would be hunting out Gt's or at least Turbo Lite's if I could fix em
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Ive looked hard for a turbo to come up, ud think the folks that own them would wear em out but it seems they are better taken careof than n/as usually...

If I could find a pt gt with a manual transmission id be happy!