Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need PT Advice - Is this a good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2012, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need PT Advice - Is this a good deal?

So as noted in a previous thread, I am seriously wanting a PT as a daily driver with a little style. After reading several comments here, I decided I would only be happy with a GT and found one locally.

However given my inexperience with the model and its used car value, I thought I would come here and see what the experts here think in terms of the value.

The PT is a 2003 GT with the following information:

1. Black with Black Leather - Paint is a 6 or 7/10 with some dull spots, the seats at solid 6 with some cracks and wear but no rips.

2. Automatic

3. 131k miles

4. Chrome Wheels with tires that are in good shape.

5. No rust, no ding, no cracks in glass.

Couple of things I noticed:

The headlight lenses are clouded in a MAJOR way. Is this normal, does it mean anything and can they be repaired or will they need to be replaced?

Also one of the gauge needles (sorry do not remember which, but it was the far left one) seems to be resting in the wrong spot and crosses needles with the gauge directly next to it.

As you can probably tell from that description, I have not driven the car yet or even heard it run. I am planning to head back out to look at it this weekend and thought I would get some feedback.

The seller is a wholesaler, so I know he got it on the cheap and he is asking 3900 for it with is right in line with KBB but I believe Edmunds is a much more realistic value source as KBB and NADA seem to be dealer shills.

Anyway, what would YOU guys pay for this PT GT?
Old 15 Mar 2012, 11:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Need PT Advice - Is this a good deal?

Maybe it's just me, but 3900 seems like a lot for a used car. Even a gt.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamN00bz View Post
Maybe it's just me, but 3900 seems like a lot for a used car. Even a gt.
Haven't been car shopping in awhile? 2 to 3k is starting price in the retail market. If you can find it. That's just any old car here. What would you take for yours?

Last edited by Busted_PT; 15 Mar 2012 at 04:33 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

No expert here but I think it is a little high, just because of the miles. Very hard to tell without actually seeing the car and driving it though. Tires alone for the GT are pretty spendy so if those tires are good and you like the rims that is a grand right there. Mine have just started to peel, (arrrrghh) they were fine when I bought it. I have taken a bit of grief for what I spent on my GT but the thing of it is there has not been a better deal (locally) since I made my purchase and I sure enjoy the car.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Sounds like a fair price to me

I was screwed into paying 8k for my 2002 na touring last year.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 15 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd say it's a good deal, if and only if the car is thoroughly inspected.

There's the potential for this car or any car that old to need serious repairs, it being a turbo doesn't make anything better.

Take it out for a long and varied drive, have the codes read, and a shop inspect.

If all's fineand you like it, go for it.
PT's are kinda a commodity, so a good one can cost lots
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
No expert here but I think it is a little high, just because of the miles. Very hard to tell without actually seeing the car and driving it though. Tires alone for the GT are pretty spendy so if those tires are good and you like the rims that is a grand right there. Mine have just started to peel, (arrrrghh) they were fine when I bought it. I have taken a bit of grief for what I spent on my GT but the thing of it is there has not been a better deal (locally) since I made my purchase and I sure enjoy the car.
With the mileage deduction the price is on the low side of privet party retail. But the gas gauge is pegged (possible gas tank drop to fix). Good possibility the timing belt is the original. Might need suspension & motor mounts. Appearance issues ( faded paint, headlights need buffed at least). You should be able to get it for a little less. That is if another buyer doesn't buy it.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Sounds like a fair price to me

I was screwed into paying 8k for my 2002 na touring last year.
Who pulled your wallet out of your pocket Dill? Did they spin you around and pushed you over a desk and take your money or did you grin and just hand it to them? It's not like there isn't pricing ready & available to you on your computer. I think you need consider who's really at fault here. Every bad deal I'v made, I had to make the final decision.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

The guy who owned the used car lot ran into my sunfire and totalled it while i was checking out a hyundai. Told me hed give me a good deal on the spot on any car on the lot.

I had no way to get home to look up any info so I bought the best lookin car on the lot, a pt cruiser sittin in the corner so I could get home lol

He had it listed for 9999, lowered it to 7999 because of the accident and gave me 1500 for my screwed up sunfire.

6 months later I drove by and they had a sunfire for sale.. I checked the vin and it was mine. They had it listed for 7999. (that car was a POS, i wouldnt wish it on my enemies"!)

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 15 Mar 2012 at 05:11 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
The guy who owned the used car lot ran into my sunfire and totalled it while i was checking out a hyundai. Told me hed give me a good deal on the spot on any car on the lot.

I had no way to get home to look up any info so I bought the best lookin car on the lot, a pt cruiser sittin in the corner so I could get home lol

He had it listed for 9999, lowered it to 7999 because of the accident and gave me 1500 for my screwed up sunfire.

6 months later I drove by and they had a sunfire for sale.. I checked the vin and it was mine. They had it listed for 7999. (that car was a POS, i wouldnt wish it on my enemies"!)
I concede you got a little help. But you thought you were tearing him a knew one, but he got the better of you for sure. You missed the opportunity to retail yours to him or his insurance. He's stuff was way over retail value. I'm doing good if I get within 1000 bucks of retail. But I'm not a buy here pay here ether. Maybe I need to try that method LLLOOOLLL. I'd get lynched for that. Just when you thought you heard everything.