PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got a new pt today! Lets figure out whats wrong!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Got a new pt today! Lets figure out whats wrong!

Purchased the 2001 pt for 498.47! Im missing a headrest on one of the seats but besides that its in good shape. The lady is the second owner, had it since 03. She knew the first owner.

Her mechanic she said took a quick look at it and said the engines seized.

She said the car just started making alot of noise whilst driving it then it died. I hooked jumper cables to it and attempted to start it and it made a click click click noise (i usually assume this is a battery issue but this cars battery plus my pts battery trying to crank it, I know its not that)

The dash shows no error codes upon keydancing... However, when puttin the keys in the car the odo. Counts up, 000000, 111111, 222222.... Etc up to 9. Then goes to the cars mileage. My pt is a 2002.. Is that just a 01 thing to test the lcd?

Next, when I lock the car with the remote the odometer screen says HEAD. What the heck does that mean?

So folks any clue on what could be wrong? Oh I checked the fluids, oils below minimum line but not empty

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Aug 2014 at 06:24 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Got a new pt today! Lets figure out whats wrong!

I can email the sound clip to anyone who wants to hear it try to start. Just PM me with your email address

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 17 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dill-

How old is the battery? if the battery is beat, even jumping it with another is not going to do any good. Better to get a fresh battery or put your (known) good one in it and try again.

Is it turning over? or the clicking your hearing is the solenoid on the starter trying to engage? If so it could be a bad starter. Another way to tell if the engine is seized, jack up the right front of the car take the wheel off then the inner fender. At that point you should see the crank pulley, put a breaker bar and socket on the nut, turn clockwise. If you can turn the engine by hand it is not seized. There could still be some internal damage, but not seized.

Let us know.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Dill-

How old is the battery? if the battery is beat, even jumping it with another is not going to do any good. Better to get a fresh battery or put your (known) good one in it and try again.

Is it turning over? or the clicking your hearing is the solenoid on the starter trying to engage? If so it could be a bad starter. Another way to tell if the engine is seized, jack up the right front of the car take the wheel off then the inner fender. At that point you should see the crank pulley, put a breaker bar and socket on the nut, turn clockwise. If you can turn the engine by hand it is not seized. There could still be some internal damage, but not seized.

Let us know.
Sounds like a good place to start to me also.
Did you ask if she had the other head rest?

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Mar 2012 at 02:15 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 02:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I did ask, she said yes. I will email her constantly to find it haha i got her number too

Old 17 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

What if I disconnected my good battery from my pt and disconnected the other pts battery and ran jumpers directly from my battery to the terminals on the other pt. that way I wont have to pick up and move around the batterys

Old 17 Mar 2012, 02:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Purchased the 2001 pt for 498.47! Im missing a headrest on one of the seats but besides that its in good shape. The lady is the second owner, had it since 03. She knew the first owner.

The dash shows no error codes upon keydancing... However, when puttin the keys in the car the odo. Counts up, 000000, 111111, 222222.... Etc up to 9. Then goes to the cars mileage. My pt is a 2002.. Is that just a 01 thing to test the lcd?

Next, when I lock the car with the remote the odometer screen says head. What the heck does that mean?

So folks any clue on what could be wrong?
Man, I miss Crewzin! I know I've seen a post on the odometer counting all zeroes, all ones, all twos, etc., and would have beet it's a sticky somewhere, but I haven't found it, so I searched on google and found a post by Crewzin on 21 Jan 2012 that talks about this. It's this thread - Odometer reads all 8's and it reads thusly:

"Right hand, put the key in the ignition. With your left hand reach up and push IN the black reset button (the one to reset the trip meter). Hold it IN and with your right hand turn the key to ON (don't start the engine). As soon as you do that, the numbers in the dial that has the odometer reading will start to do a test like this: 00000000, 111111111, 22222222 etc. testing all the numbers. After that each needle in each gauge will start a test like this in the gas gauge: 0/0, 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, 4/4, then move on to the next dial. That tests all the numbers and gauges. Also, you can let go of the reset button once the test starts." - thanks again to Crewzin - hope you're back soon!
Old 17 Mar 2012, 03:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Maybe thats what its doing.. Maybe its normal for it to do it on this car... No clue but it does it everytime you turn the key towards on.

Also, i found a post about the pt asking for head on the odometer or something.

Odometer flashes the word "head"

It only does it when I hit the lock button and flashes the word. So Im thinking it is just the car thinking for a sec the headlights are on.

Old 17 Mar 2012, 04:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
What if I disconnected my good battery from my pt and disconnected the other pts battery and ran jumpers directly from my battery to the terminals on the other pt. that way I wont have to pick up and move around the batterys
Depends on what kind of jumper cables you have. Most of the ones you buy off the shelf are only like 10ga. (won't pass enough amps) you would need at least 4ga. jumper wires to do it without removing the batteries.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 04:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
Man, I miss Crewzin! I know I've seen a post on the odometer counting all zeroes, all ones, all twos, etc., and would have beet it's a sticky somewhere, but I haven't found it, so I searched on google and found a post by Crewzin on 21 Jan 2012 that talks about this. It's this thread - Odometer reads all 8's and it reads thusly:

"Right hand, put the key in the ignition. With your left hand reach up and push IN the black reset button (the one to reset the trip meter). Hold it IN and with your right hand turn the key to ON (don't start the engine). As soon as you do that, the numbers in the dial that has the odometer reading will start to do a test like this: 00000000, 111111111, 22222222 etc. testing all the numbers. After that each needle in each gauge will start a test like this in the gas gauge: 0/0, 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, 4/4, then move on to the next dial. That tests all the numbers and gauges. Also, you can let go of the reset button once the test starts." - thanks again to Crewzin - hope you're back soon!
I'm thinking () that it's doing this (going into a test mode) because the battery has been disconnected for so long or dead and when you are trying to jump it, the computer is not getting the correct amount of voltage when you are trying to crank it with "cheep" jumper cables.