Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blinking electrical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Blinking electrical

I noticed on my PT that I recently bought that the radio lights, and dash lights sorta blink. The headlights do too at night. It's like theres a slight short in the electrical. Doesnts turn off and on, just gets duller then brighter then duller then brighter........ is this a common problem? Its a '03 series 2 dream cruiser btw....

2003 series2 #89 PT Cruiser "Dream Cruiser"
2.4l Turbo, LOADED 20" milanni rims
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Blinking electrical

Nice colour of pt first of all! It could be the battery on its way out? Just guessing as i notice the same on mine and the battery is 7 years old.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evile View Post
I noticed on my PT that I recently bought that the radio lights, and dash lights sorta blink. The headlights do too at night. It's like theres a slight short in the electrical. Doesnts turn off and on, just gets duller then brighter then duller then brighter........ is this a common problem? Its a '03 series 2 dream cruiser btw....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Nice colour of pt first of all! It could be the battery on its way out? Just guessing as i notice the same on mine and the battery is 7 years old.
I think someone on here come up with a wire problem in the steering column.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 01:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I think someone on here come up with a wire problem in the steering column.
so its a common occurance?

Old 25 Mar 2012, 02:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
so its a common occurance?
no

Jerry
Old 25 Mar 2012, 02:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I get a bit of flickering under load. I assumed my battery is toast. I know it drains fairly quickly as I have to start mine often at the weekend job (sitting in my car watching tv on the netbook and use the stereo for sound).
Old 25 Mar 2012, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Jerry says (no). But with over 1M built, someone else has had just about everything happen at one time or another.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 03:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

looky here:

PT Cruiser Electrical and Lighting Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

Old 25 Mar 2012, 06:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
I and most of the long time members here, know about the Edmunds site postings concerning the PT. Personally, I've read every post about every problem with our PTs. Keep in mind that there were, as has been said, just a few cars shy of 1.5 million PTs built, so the edmunds postings represent a microscopic part of those produced.

You posted back with the Edmunds info so quickly, that it almost seems you may have known about the Edmunds before you asked about it being a common problem. I hope not.

The PT Cruiser has been a "love it or hate it" car from the time it was introduced. At a "Hooters" car show north of my usual haunts, about two years ago, I sat down in a booth to get out of the sun and eat a burger. I couldn't believe what I heard coming from the booth behind me. They were apparently members of a local mustang car club and the were regailing each other with the latest posts they were making daily on several PT Cruiser sites and almost as regularly on sites like edmunds. I hope everyone realizes that just because a new poster claims to own a PT, doesn't mean he actually does, especially on sites like Edmunds. There are more times than most people here realize, that they don't. Back to Hooters, they said they would go to the site, introduce themselves as new owners and say, for instance, that the PT isn't theirs, it's their sisters and at her house, or that they live in timbuckto and there isn't a town with a mechanic or dealer for hundreds of miles. All kinds of excuses that would not allow them to just take it to a mechanic, etc., etc. They then ask if their problem is a common one and then set back and wait for us to regail them with, "this happens all the time", or how terrible our PTs are. All the while setting in their recliner, laughing histerically, with a beer in one hand and the TV clicker in the other. Apparently it was "extra points" if they could get a real owner to let them take pictures of his car and then they could claim its theirs "with pictures and everything" when they introduce themselves on the site. If that wasn't enough, they then said that they had gotten other clubs envolved. I could go on with what they thought was hilarious but lets just say when I got up and confronted them in my "normal calm manner" I was asked to leave the Hooters by the management.

Evil, I'm not saying you're screwing with us, I hope not, but it's happened more times than most people here know. This is why I "seem" a little short with some of our nubies that come here. I know its happening. I just don't know who or when.

Jerry
Old 25 Mar 2012, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I and most of the long time members here, know about the Edmunds site postings concerning the PT. Personally, I've read every post about every problem with our PTs. Keep in mind that there were, as has been said, just a few cars shy of 1.5 million PTs built, so the edmunds postings represent a microscopic part of those produced.

You posted back with the Edmunds info so quickly, that it almost seems you may have known about the Edmunds before you asked about it being a common problem. I hope not.

The PT Cruiser has been a "love it or hate it" car from the time it was introduced. At a "Hooters" car show north of my usual haunts, about two years ago, I sat down in a booth to get out of the sun and eat a burger. I couldn't believe what I heard coming from the booth behind me. They were apparently members of a local mustang car club and the were regailing each other with the latest posts they were making daily on several PT Cruiser sites and almost as regularly on sites like edmunds. I hope everyone realizes that just because a new poster claims to own a PT, doesn't mean he actually does, especially on sites like Edmunds. There are more times than most people here realize, that they don't. Back to Hooters, they said they would go to the site, introduce themselves as new owners and say, for instance, that the PT isn't theirs, it's their sisters and at her house, or that they live in timbuckto and there isn't a town with a mechanic or dealer for hundreds of miles. All kinds of excuses that would not allow them to just take it to a mechanic, etc., etc. They then ask if their problem is a common one and then set back and wait for us to regail them with, "this happens all the time", or how terrible our PTs are. All the while setting in their recliner, laughing histerically, with a beer in one hand and the TV clicker in the other. Apparently it was "extra points" if they could get a real owner to let them take pictures of his car and then they could claim its theirs "with pictures and everything" when they introduce themselves on the site. If that wasn't enough, they then said that they had gotten other clubs envolved. I could go on with what they thought was hilarious but lets just say when I got up and confronted them in my "normal calm manner" I was asked to leave the Hooters by the management.

Evil, I'm not saying you're screwing with us, I hope not, but it's happened more times than most people here know. This is why I "seem" a little short with some of our nubies that come here. I know its happening. I just don't know who or when.

Jerry
Well I never considered that. Our cars must be really special for owners of what would be considered hot rods, to feel threatened enough to pull this kind of stunt. We must have a special car indeed!