PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
car shakes with ac on at idle. 2005 88k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2012, 01:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default car shakes with ac on at idle. 2005 88k

Hello,

i took a trip from AZ to CA and i didn't use the A/C. everything was smooth and temp gauge was in the middle like normal. while i was at the border checkpoint it was a stand still for a while and i got hot so i turned on the A/C but then the steering wheel started vibrating like crazy and it felt like the power was sucked out of the car. i turned it off and everything is normal

tonight, i started the car up( its completely cold) and noticed the fan did not turn on, maybe because it wasn't warm yet, but then turned on A/C and maybe 20 seconds later it has the rumble. and can hear the compressor kick on and want to try to stay on. and the fan was still not moving

what could it be?

I knowI NEED to get the timing belt changed since its a 2005 with 88k. and also i need a new battery because they said its low and should replace soon.

ive changed the sparkplugs and wireset about 10k ago and did an oil change 1k ago.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: car shakes with ac on at idle. 2005 88k

anyone know the answer?
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You said it yourself. You did not see the fan come on when you turned the ac on. The fans are common on n/a pts. You can find them on ebay for 56+ but not expensive.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mojeb, it sounds like a very commom problem with PT's. Your radiator fan is not turning on at low or high speed--or both. When you're sitting at idle with the A/C on--and the fan doesn't turn on (or moves too slowly because it's pootering out), the high-side of your (let's call it freon) has no way to cool, via your condenser, and this causes your compressor to have to work much harder. The engine has to compensate and work harder, but it can't because you're at idle, so your engine sputters and acts like it's going to die from exhaustion. It's like trying to pedal a bicycle up hill without having any extra muscle to make the grade.

When you take off and reach a decent speed again, the natural airflow starts to cool your A/C compressor and all is well ... until you slow down to idle again. That's when your fan is supposed to take over. Yours doesn't.

Don't turn on your A/C again until you get a new radiator fan. The pressure builds in the A/C system and sometimes ruptures A/C lines--and other bad stuff. It happened to my wife's PT.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 23 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So am I to understand that the minute you turn your A/C on the fan will start at the same time ? If it doesn't there is a problem ? I am not having any over heating problems, stays right in the middle no matter what but I have the same load problem on my A/C at idle, seems to kick in and out over and over and doesn't work very well until I start driving and moving and then its fine ?
Old 23 Apr 2012, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoB View Post
So am I to understand that the minute you turn your A/C on the fan will start at the same time ? If it doesn't there is a problem ? I am not having any over heating problems, stays right in the middle no matter what but I have the same load problem on my A/C at idle, seems to kick in and out over and over and doesn't work very well until I start driving and moving and then its fine ?
Yes, the fan dose run when the ac is on. If not you probably have a bad fan.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Apr 2012, 03:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Geno, when my fan went out and I had the "sputtering-engine-at-idle-with-the-A/C-on", my temp gauge never moved above the almost halfway mark. Go figure! So when someone told me my A/C problem was actually a faulty fan, I, at first, didn't believe them. Then I went to check for fan movement when I turned on the A/C. No movement (unless I pushed one of the fan blades with a screwdriver and the fan spun for a few seconds). Apparently, unless you're stuck in a lot of stopped traffic on hot days, you don't need the fan a lot--unless, of course, you turn on your A/C and the busted fan cannot cool your A/C "high side" line, via your condensor.

Long story, short, your low speed or high speed on your fan is not working properly. Or the whole fan is shot (that's the case in many of these issues).

Get a new fan.

Tim
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojeb21 View Post
anyone know the answer?

mojeb21

Mine does that ,but it only started after I put " BWoody " solid Motor mounts on top & Bottom
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tim

You hit it right on the nose .... never heats up but I started it this morning, turned on the A/C and NOTHING ? No fan at all ! I think I hear the fan running sometimes tho, so maybe its an intermittent thing. However I have the rough idle and the compressor is kicking in and out at idle .....

Sounds like you guys hit it right on the spot !

Great Forum, thanks for ALL your help. Going to go troubleshoot the fan in the morning .... Will post when I get it fixed ....

Geno B-