Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems "tracking Short"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Problems "tracking Short"

15a Fuse ( light blue ) ( tail lamps ) if not mistaken is the "labeled title".
Interior fuse of said number 15a repeatedly and instantly blows upon turning the MFS. multi function switch. meaning I have no tail light and console lights/illumination is GONE!!! Tired of getting pulled on something I already know. It is a confirmed short/ground. but the problem is removing those interior plastic columns that are right behind the drivers seat housing the seat belt. Its blocking my ability to trace the "juiced Wire " I do have the Power Probe ECT 2000. Its amazing but I still am having issues. Advice thanks.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Problems "tracking Short"

I would begin with the easy checks. Pull the tail light and parking light lens and check the bulbs and connections. I once had a shorted bulb in an old chevy.

You may want to take it to a shop, because they can put a pulser (maybe not the proper word) in the fuse socket and use a magnetic sensor to trace the short.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruisershort View Post
Interior fuse of said number 15a repeatedly and instantly blows upon turning the MFS.

Tired of getting pulled on something I already know. It is a confirmed short/ground.
Are you saying you've eliminated the MFS and are certain it's a wire behind the panel?
Old 29 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes. I do have the Power Probe ECT 2000. god sent. when i have time to use it. it verified what I already knew, A short to ground in the 15a circuit. Interior fuse panel since that is where they are blowing thus I hook it up to it.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also plugged up into the rear tail light with the tail lamp plug in for circuit isolation, and it said short to ground. From what I can tell the signal gets lost somewhere between just in front of the rear passenger seats on the left and just behind the column on the left as well. I am having a field day gaining access to these spots for verification as the seat belt harness makes for difficult removal of column and such. why on earth does there have to be so many grounds on these cars. What happened to the days of just 6 wires in a harness under the hood and through out the car body ?
Old 30 Mar 2012, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

The number of grounds on your car has nothing to do with your problem. Your problem is a hot wire that has become connected to a metal part of the car, either due to a faulty component or through an insulation breakdown. If you have isolated the short to that area, it sounds as if you have an insulation breakdown. An acceptable solution would be to simply cut the faulty wire at both ends and rerun another wire.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im not saying that I am without capability to do such. My question is this, how would I be able to access that section? where its deeper in behind the front dash face almost directly behind the cigar lighter level maybe a little bit higher but not by much. that's the only area where I havent been able to get at to check the wiring. . .