PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clunking noise??

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default clunking noise??

Over the last week I started to get a clunking noise when I accelerate, it clunks once maybe towards the ride side middle. I'm thinking CV joint but I'm hoping you guys have a better idea before I bring it in for repair. I'm driving from NY to Florida in June so I want her perfect. So any advice is appreciated

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04 Apr 2012, 11:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: clunking noise??

My clunk was simply the rubber isolator shifted from the springs.

Just something to look at.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm going to get under it tomorrow to take a look if I see anything obvious. This clunk you can almost feel it.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05 Apr 2012, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you checked the control arm bushes at the front. Common fault and can cause a knocking noise.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 11:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Have you checked the control arm bushes at the front. Common fault and can cause a knocking noise.
Yeah I replaced the lower ones and the whole assembly with moog less than a year ago.

I just got under the car, and I don't see anything obvious, going out for another look.

Old 05 Apr 2012, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

After reading up on it I'm thinking it's the CV joint or the passenger side half shaft although it looks fine, no boot issues or anything but the symptom for that is a clunk on acceleration.

Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I ordered the upper and lower motor mount from Rock auto, going to put them in next week.

Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dino, let us know how it goes! Take photos if you can, always good to post the work here for others to learn from!!!! If you are going to do the entire job yourself, I'd like to work with you to document it, to add to our library in the Tech/Performance section. Let me know if that's possible.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: clunking noise??

Does the clunk get faster as u continue to accelerate or does it stay at a constant speed? It could be something as simple as a hub bearing.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
Does the clunk get faster as u continue to accelerate or does it stay at a constant speed? It could be something as simple as a hub bearing.
Yeah it only clunks once when I hit the gas, I can get it to do it by goosing the engine. It also does it sometimes when I brake. It doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning. I changed the lower control arms with moog less than a years ago and replace my struts and shocks at the same time. To me the front end looks good, but I only have ramps and I needs jacks to get the wheels up in the air.

Chromenut, Gus may help me if we can get a day off together, I know the top one is easy to do but not sure about the lower one, Gus(XtrmDC2) has much more knowledge than me and way better tools . If I do it with him I will take some pictures