Advertisements
ABS Light, Parking Brake Light, Traction Control Light

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TurboDucky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2012, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ABS Light, Parking Brake Light, Traction Control Light

I drive a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, Auto.

In November 2011, the ABS Light, Parking Brake Light, Traction Control Light, all came on unexpectedly. This was while cruising on the highway. The car seemed to operate just fine. I turned the vehicle off after reaching my destination. I turned it back on hours later and no lights on the dashboard. I believe this was right before I had my snow tires put on.

A month later and it's terribly cold (below freezing all day and night), the lights came back on and my check engine light. This time, I get it checked. 2 codes - EGR valve and CAM bus.

I replaced the EGR valve, spark plugs and distributor wires (although I've been told it's not technically a distributor, it's something else, but this is besides the pont). No lights were on the dashboard.

A couple months later, I notice my front right shock is leaking - this is the 2nd mcpherson strut assemblies already on the car. I replaced both front strut assemblies (Monroe Quick Struts, not the econo struts)). I turn on the car and the lights are back! I test the ABS to see if it still works and I skidded all over the road - they aren't working. I check my ABS lines to make sure they didn't actually come out when I replaced the struts. They are fine. The lights stayed on. A day later, it's warmer, and the lights don't come on when I turn the car on. A few days later the lights are back on. I brought it to a mechanic to have the alignment done and he does a quick check and confirms for me it's the same CAM bus code as before. He checked all of the ABS lines and confirms they are all in properly (I trust him). He says without doing a full on electrical analysis of the system, he can't be sure which computer has failed. In general, he said I've kept great care of this 10+ year old vehicle (always nice to hear when you do most of your own work).

I took the car home and the 3 lights are still on. I haven't checked out the electrical lines in my Chilton manual yet, but my experience with Chilton/Hayne's manuals, is that when it comes to diagnosing electrical problems, they are terrible.

So, has anyone experienced this issue?

I found this one issue where the same three lights came on, but it did not have a final diagnosis/fix:
Problem with Brakes-Need help

FYI: There have been no mods to the vehicle, although I do a ton of my own work (on a car pushing 150k miles, 10+ years old... it breaks all too often).
Old 06 Apr 2012, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: ABS Light, Parking Brake Light, Traction Control Light

this might help you. You probably have damaged wires somewhere under the car. Even a small cut in the wire will cause problems.

Problem with Brakes-Need help
Old 06 Apr 2012, 09:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, mine does that too. The problem is, you have to start replacing stuff to find the problem. Or, if you're friendly with a dealer, they can hook up their scanner and tell you exactly where the problem is.

That would be worth paying them a few $$ just to located the problem...
loralee76 likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 06 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah i know how that is. I did buy one abs sensor and swaped it out. Reset the computer and it came back right when i turned the car on. So i then realized its either cables and or brake module. I then got Actron CP9449 abs scan tool. Its probably under $100 right now online. Its compatible with the pt cruiser/neon and a few more cars. Check their site for compatible cars. Cheap odb2 scan tools do not connect to abs or airbag modules so remmber that. Equus also makes scan tools that are very good and the top of the line models scans abs also. I actualy rented one of the equus scanners from oreillyauto but that one also did not interface with abs and it costs over $200. So i got the cp9449 and it found my problem and i just started to trace all the cables and found the problem. I also googled some articles on troubleshooting abs with multimeter and found out one sensor was getting no power and the other minimum, so there had to be a cut. I was checking the cables everywhere in back, next to the fuel tank and then i got all the way to the front and im like WTF...something ate the car. Anyway these days you need a scan tool and thats it, they instantly point you in the right direction. I would get the cp9449 or a better abs scanner and go from there.
Old 06 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

These might help everybody to troubleshoot most if not all problems.
Actron®

http://www.actron.com/whats_new_detail.php?id=23

http://www.equus.com/Product/3150/AB...iagnostic-Tool

Last edited by monkeyboyx; 06 Apr 2012 at 11:23 pm.
Old 02 May 2012, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I traced all of the lines and found everything to be in working order.

I ended up bringing it to a shop that I trust and he told me the ABS module wasn't working. He said it kept losing connection with it when he had the scanner connected to it. He couldn't confirm it definitely was the ABS module/pump, but he felt pretty confident this was it. I was really hoping it was just one of the ABS sensors.

Has anyone seen a guide for installing an ABS module for a Chrysler PT Cruiser? The Haynes book has nothing - I'm convinced it's worthless as it hasn't helped me with one repair after 4+ repairs. I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this is. What do I need to remove in order to access the module?

I'm under the impression I'll need to reprogram the ABS module after installing it.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 03:31 am
Regular Cruiser

What was the story on this one in the end? I've had the same instrument cluster weirdness happen intermittently (ABS, Traction Control, Handbrake lights) and now they're stuck on full-time. No error codes via OBDII as far as I can tell. Car seems to drive normally.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced ABS module. Had a shop do it. Problem went away for the rest of the cars life (less than a year).
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hopefully my own woes won't come to that. Thanks for checking back in!

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 28 Feb 2017, 01:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupothechocobo View Post
Replaced ABS module. Had a shop do it. Problem went away for the rest of the cars life (less than a year).
I want to like this for fixing the problem and for returning years later to let Prosetha know that it worked, but I can't in good conscience like a post where the car's demise came in under a year.

Tags
abs, abs.brakes.traction, parking