Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2012, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need suggestions

So I purchased my '06 base model PT at the beginning of last year. I've gotten the oil changed and needed the tire rod ends changed about six months ago. I bought it used and besides the carfax showing no major accidents I don't really have any idea how well it was maintained before I got it. Whats the best approach to have everything checked out and making sure it's in the best condition possible? I'm concerned that if I take it to a shop they'll try to sell me unnecessary things. I have a basic knowledge of the mechanics of cars but not enough to be able to go in and look myself to know if they're telling the truth!
Old 07 Apr 2012, 03:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Need suggestions

I'd start by thoroughly searching this forum as all the common, and uncommon faults with pt's are all documented. Off the top of my head I would check the front lower control arm bushes as these are prone to failure....and often if they haven't been upgraded. Also if you are not sure when anything was last serviced or changed personally I'd change spark plug leads, spark plugs, brake fluid and check all the pads and rotors. You had the oil swapped so thats a good start.

Whats the mileage at? At 60,000 I changed my pcv valve and the timing belt is due at about 100,000 miles (correct me someone if I'm wrong there).
Old 07 Apr 2012, 05:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Did you get an Owner's Manual with the car? If so, check out the Maintenance Schedule in it. If you have no manual, get a Hayne's Repair Manual at the local auto parts store. It tells you what do do--as far as maintenance, that is.

Tim
Old 07 Apr 2012, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have everything done by a shop, try and find a trusted mechanic by asking neighbors, attending local car venues and car shows. Ask around for someone people trust.

Good ideas by the people who already responded to know a little something about the car before you take it in.

If your told something like bad ball joints or front wheel bearings, have the mechanic show you that the wheels wobble or the joints are loose. Don't take the mechanics word, especially at a place like Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube as they make their living by selling parts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Apr 2012, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
I'd start by thoroughly searching this forum as all the common, and uncommon faults with pt's are all documented. Off the top of my head I would check the front lower control arm bushes as these are prone to failure....and often if they haven't been upgraded. Also if you are not sure when anything was last serviced or changed personally I'd change spark plug leads, spark plugs, brake fluid and check all the pads and rotors. You had the oil swapped so thats a good start.

Whats the mileage at? At 60,000 I changed my pcv valve and the timing belt is due at about 100,000 miles (correct me someone if I'm wrong there).
The mileage is at 82,000.. We have checked pads and rotors, and will be soon changing them as they are worn, not making sounds but definitely ready to be changed. We will also be getting new tires soon. I will go ahead and have my husband do the spark plugs and things. The wiper fluid doesn't work in the front, only in the back, but that hasn't been an issue so far so I want to make sure more crucial things get taken care of before working on luxuries...
Old 08 Apr 2012, 03:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it if a car in the uk doesnt have its screen washers working it fails our annual mot test and you cant drive it legally until repaired! It can even fail if the bottle is empty! Its getting worse this year as well! More and more checks! Health and safety gone mad.

Anyway sounds like a good plan for your pt!
Old 25 May 2012, 04:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaduby View Post
So I purchased my '06 base model PT at the beginning of last year. I've gotten the oil changed and needed the tire rod ends changed about six months ago. I bought it used and besides the carfax showing no major accidents I don't really have any idea how well it was maintained before I got it. Whats the best approach to have everything checked out and making sure it's in the best condition possible? I'm concerned that if I take it to a shop they'll try to sell me unnecessary things. I have a basic knowledge of the mechanics of cars but not enough to be able to go in and look myself to know if they're telling the truth!
I would like to say you that you should focus on your car engine capability. You should oiled your engine in every six month because it will make low maintenance. If any other problem you have, then you can show your car to local mechanic who can give you right information.

Last edited by alonzomerrill; 25 May 2012 at 04:52 am.
Old 25 May 2012, 05:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzomerrill View Post
You should oiled your engine in every six month because it will make low maintenance.

Alonzo, if you mean "change the oil and filter" every 6 months, there's also a mileage limitation to go along with that. Conventional oil (Dino) is recommended to change every 3,000 miles or that 6 months you mentioned.

P.S. please don't advertise in your signature block. I've removed what you added twice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 May 2012, 06:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaduby View Post
The wiper fluid doesn't work in the front, only in the back, but that hasn't been an issue so far so I want to make sure more crucial things get taken care of before working on luxuries...

I'm in the same boat with the wipers, but that is just out of laziness. This is usually a quick and easy (cheap) fix. The plastic of your nozzles has probably become brittle and broke (that's what happened to mine) and you just replace the nozzles. (I've seen some aftermarket lighted ones for as little as$8-$10 shipped)

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*