PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Modern Muscle Car (yes or no?)

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2012, 05:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Modern Muscle Car (yes or no?)

Who considers a PT Cruiser GT with a stage 1 a modern muscle car in its own right & time?....who agrees and all opinions welcome--- the new Challengers and Camaros certainly are. MJB

Last edited by mjb457; 08 Apr 2012 at 08:20 am.
Old 08 Apr 2012, 05:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Modern Muscle Car (yes or no?)

I'm of the old school way of thinking when it comes to muscle cars I'm afraid. Big V8 either N/A or supercharged. Some bigger V6's as well but I've never put a 4 pot turbo in that category. Not taking anything away from PT Gt's because I'd love to have one but I don't think it's in the same cat as an SRT challenger, camaro or S197 mustang (which I have as well). I don't think the designers would have considered they would be competing with those for sales at any point.

Some people in the UK refer to V8 BMW's as muscle cars but the look and design of those cars don't quite fit for me. It's got to be american in origin for a start. PT GT is a great american car and may well turn into a classic but I couldn't imagine it on a poster with "Modern day muscle" written underneath it.

I love them for what they are, a great practical car with power when you need it and you can do anything you want to them!
Old 08 Apr 2012, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well stated Dave.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Apr 2012, 08:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I am told there's a local pt with a 426 hemi stuffed in. that's muscle. I just want a ricer killer is all myself lol. making hondas look bad with a caravan was fun too haha. my old man ran body shops for dodge and came home with so many cool cars. he was up there in age and he'd get me to jump in "let's go find us a camaro or mustang eh boy?" muscle car is big block v8 to me.

pt is an american made ricer with useful cargo space and a retro look
Old 08 Apr 2012, 08:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well stated Dave,,,, but it does hold a place somewhere, 300hp does belong in honerable mention?....... MJB (quicker than alot of V8's)
Old 08 Apr 2012, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought muscle cars where those with muscles?...while I agree cars like the Challenger, Camero, Mustangs are true muscle cars there are now honda,s Bmw,s and lots of others with 4-6 bangers that can easily keep up, I def wouldnt call it a ricer either..maybe the PT needs to be in a newly created catagory?...If you got the turbo, you can beat some (considered) fast cars and keep up with others,,,and also get blown away by others too...interesting question....A Classic for sure
Old 08 Apr 2012, 09:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Well stated Dave,,,, but it does hold a place somewhere, 300hp does belong in honerable mention?....... MJB (quicker than alot of V8's)
Absolutely it does! But i wouldn't consider a subaru impreza or mitsubishi evo a muscle car despite 400bhp from each. I would say its not all out speed or even bhp rating that rates a muscle car. Its the manner in which it does it, the style, engine make up and the noise. You wouldnt say a formula 1 car was a muscle car just because it has 800 bhp? A 450 bhp ferrari or porsche? Not muscle cars to me. Good but dont have the same appeal.

Just like the pt gt is excellent but for me it does fit into a different category whatever that may be.

Last edited by davea300; 08 Apr 2012 at 10:20 am.
Old 08 Apr 2012, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

the pt is a sexy lady with all the right curves and the attitude to match
mdskinner731 and Davey like this.
Old 08 Apr 2012, 06:23 pm
Young Cruiser

I think the category could be called modern muscle. The muscle of the 60s and 70s is an entirely different thing. But the fact that these cars can run a fourteen sec 1/4 mile with min mods can not be overlooked. most of the old muscle cars from the factory would be lucky to run these times. The other option could be the sleeper category. How about when your driving back from jewel with 3 kids your wife and aload of groceries and u pull up to a light next to a guy in a civic with his hat cocked sideways ,and annoying muffler and fourteen gauges on the pillar and the light turns green and u hand his ass to him pretty cool whatever category.
Old 08 Apr 2012, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickie72 View Post
How about when your driving back from jewel with 3 kids your wife and aload of groceries and u pull up to a light next to a guy in a civic with his hat cocked sideways ,and annoying muffler and fourteen gauges on the pillar and the light turns green and u hand his ass to him pretty cool whatever category.
dicky, take 3 steps back and THINK about what you just said. ANYBODY that would do something like that doesn't deserve to be behind the wheel of a Hugo let alone the wheel of any car with power.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.