PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
where is the ECU and how do i remove it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2012, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default where is the ECU and how do i remove it?

i looked around the site and did a search. came up with nothing.

can someone please tell me where the ecu is hiding and how do i remove it?
Old 09 Apr 2012, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: where is the ECU and how do i remove it?

NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE ECU IS??? come on somebody has to know. is it on the firewall behind the air filter?
Old 09 Apr 2012, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, most people are going to view this thread and then ignore it. Why? Well, you don't give any info on the model and/or year of your PT, whether it's a turbo or an NA. Now how can someone answer that question for you without you giving up some info? I make this suggestion over and over and over, ad nauseum. Either post your vehicle info in every thread you start, or even easier, go change your signature block to include what type PT, year, and any mods you have done. That makes it sooooooooooooo much easier for us to help you out.

Okay, off my soap box now....
Old 09 Apr 2012, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

While in 99% of the cases I will totally agree with Chromenut's above post, the problem is that most people call things by the wrong name or unclear of the fact that a lot of the control units are all built into the same square box.

In the PT's case, if your talking the PCM (Power Control Module) or the ECM (Engine Control Module) or the ECU (Electronic Control Unit), it's all the same square silver box that's located against the firewall on the driver side.

Chrysler PT CRUISER Engine Computer ECM PCM ECU Module | eBay

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 07:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
While in 99% of the cases I will totally agree with Chromenut's above post, the problem is that most people call things by the wrong name or unclear of the fact that a lot of the control units are all built into the same square box.

In the PT's case, if your talking the PCM (Power Control Module) or the ECM (Engine Control Module) or the ECU (Electronic Control Unit), it's all the same square silver box that's located against the firewall on the driver side.
You're too nice. This newbie yells at us in caps without waiting for a response. LOL

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
You're too nice. This newbie yells at us in caps without waiting for a response. LOL

Your right of course. Not feeling up to par or would have given him heck and not a good answer. Did a little too much today and have a sore chest where my incision is. If it's any consolation, I didn't tell him how to remove it.

...and he did wait EXACTLY (to the minute) 24 hours for a response.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
There was a whole day in between posts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would have responded to him yesterday but was so out of it, I drank exactly two Mimosa's and then two Hard Lemonades, and was totally drunk! Yes, I'm a cheap date, considering I've not had a drink in omg I don't know when! So, sat around and vegetated, it was Easter Sunday so I figured I would give the forums a day off....lmao....
Old 09 Apr 2012, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I would have responded to him yesterday but was so out of it, I drank exactly two Mimosa's and then two Hard Lemonades, and was totally drunk! Yes, I'm a cheap date, considering I've not had a drink in omg I don't know when! So, sat around and vegetated, it was Easter Sunday so I figured I would give the forums a day off....lmao....
Medicating were you?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Apr 2012, 03:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

i figured it was en easy enough question that i did not have to go into specifics. did not mean to get any ones panties in a bunch.

crewzin, thanks for the response. as stated above i researched quite a bit but could not find anything from just reading. i ran across a photo of an engine bay and noticed what i assumed was an ecu mounted on the firewall behind the air filter. i just wanted to make sure that was it.

as for the information of the car it is:

2003 pt cruiser, non turbo, automatic

i figured the ecu was in the same position for all pts.

now the reason for my post was because my car will not start (as in crank over) it still has all electrical functions to include gauges, radio, etc. but i turn the key to start it and nothing happens.

i searched and search and as far as i have read it is one of three things. either a bad ground, the key switch needs to be replaced or the ecu. luckily for me i ordered the key switch a few days before the car decided to stop working since the key kept slipping out of the key hole when the key was turned to the on position.

i am hoping that the problem is simply the key switch or ground. if not, then i will most likely be buying an ecu and just wanted to know where it is to plan ahead.

thanks again crewzin for verifying