Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chilton or Haynes manual?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2012, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Currently living in NY, but pure Arizonian at heart.
Default Chilton or Haynes manual?

Having just discovered some missing bolts in my fan assembly I realize that I need a good repair manual. I have used both Chilton and Haynes with various vehicles through the years and I'm wondering if one is better than the other for the PT Cruiser.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chilton or Haynes manual?

They're both the same, even share the same pictures. I haven't noticed any difference in either one.

Haynes 01-03 #25035

Chilton 01-03 #20390

Chilton 01-09 #20390 (yes, has the same number)
Old 09 May 2012, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

imo neither one - the OEM service manual has more details, but Chilton/Hayne's has more real pictures. Me, I don't need pictures, I need wiring diagrams, parts lists, instructions on breaking down things like the clutch, etc. I got the OEM manual the week that I bought my PT and now it's the only one I use.
Old 10 May 2012, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had no idea they were the same. Good to know. And thanks for the info on the OEM manual, details are always good to have. Sometimes pictures can really help when your not sure what you are looking at.
Years ago I had "The Complete Idiot's Guide to VW Repair", had great tips like when to turn the wrench over. I learned a lot about mechanicing in those early years...
Old 10 May 2012, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMans2ndchance View Post
I had no idea they were the same. Good to know. And thanks for the info on the OEM manual, details are always good to have. Sometimes pictures can really help when your not sure what you are looking at.
Years ago I had "The Complete Idiot's Guide to VW Repair", had great tips like when to turn the wrench over. I learned a lot about mechanicing in those early years...
I hate to always suggest this, only because I keep having to - but, have you gone to the Tech/Performance section yet? One of the first threads is my PT Library thread. I've loaded oh a hundred or so guides, manuals, catalogs and all sorts of interesting PT related stuff. Go search through there and download what you want. May be of help to you. I'm still considering creating an idiots guide to the PT, however I'm driving an '06 so the majority of members here wouldn't be interested in it....
Old 10 May 2012, 08:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Last year I was at an antique store in Ashland, Oregon and saw the "VW Repair For the Complete Idiot", sitting on a shelf. It was only 12 dollars but I didn't buy it because I had already found two old newspapers, one dated May 19, 1940 (the day the Nazis bombed Amsterdam) and one dated June 6, 1944 (D-day).

I shouldn't have been so miserly, since, I, too, had learned how to work on cars from that "Complete Idiot" book--but live and ... regret!

Tim
Old 10 May 2012, 08:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wicked sig pic; Pt and a PT!!!!

I'll second Chrome's suggestion, the 'FSM' can't be beat.
Old 10 May 2012, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I hate to always suggest this, only because I keep having to - but, have you gone to the Tech/Performance section yet? One of the first threads is my PT Library thread. I've loaded oh a hundred or so guides, manuals, catalogs and all sorts of interesting PT related stuff. Go search through there and download what you want. May be of help to you. I'm still considering creating an idiots guide to the PT, however I'm driving an '06 so the majority of members here wouldn't be interested in it....
There is a ton of info there, great resource work. In just a quick look I learned new stuff. Did not know (or is it remember?) that there is a cabin air filter. I know what tomorrow's project is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Wicked sig pic; Pt and a PT!!!!
Thanks. There are several PT boats at our waterfront. 728 is the only one sea worthy and complete. I thought about putting PT# on the edge of my hood, but that might be too cheesy.