Advertisements
Techron, Gas Additives Etc

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2012, 12:10 am
Banned

Exclamation Techron, Gas Additives Etc

PTJunkie likes this.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 09 Jul 2012 at 01:58 pm.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Techron, Gas Additives Etc

I exclusively go to Shell and Chevron as I have always heard that they have the best quality gas. Mostly Shell though because I get Air Miles there.
Old 28 May 2012, 05:45 am
Cool Cruiser

A bit off topic...

I actually try to stay away from Shell.
Back in 2000 to 2002 they used an aditive that would fubar Chrysler fuel systems here in Canada.
I owned a lot of Chryslers over the years so it just became a rule of thumb to stay away.
Now that I see that after 10 years that there are no problems, I may go back to using Shell again.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 28 May 2012, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Like you said comes from the same Refinery. Ours comes out of Kentucky, just across the line. Sam's gets it cheaper because of it's buying power. I buy at the cheapest place. Don't have any problems as long as I buy high test for the ones that require it. Sheet's and Little General are in a gas war so we get 10c off a gal. with a store card. Shell and Exxon don't offer this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2012, 10:56 am
Banned

`````````

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 12 Jul 2012 at 06:04 pm.
Old 28 May 2012, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Well we do know what we pay for gasoline, and what we charge. I can tell you we make money when the gas is cheaper. When it is high, based on our competitive area we sell it cheaper than we buy it. When it goes down that is when we make our money. Gas goes up fast, goes down slow.

Sam's I believe doesn't get that much of a deal. There really aren't that many sam's compared to other chains, plus they buy our same gas. From what I have seen when the price is lower, there prices are no better than the chains, but when gas starts rising, they stay low.

Chevron and shell cost about 15 cents more a gallon, I will buy premium, I will not buy there's though. I read the same thing about shell gas too.
I am not sure the cost is beneficial though.

That is why I am asking about the techron bottle additive that is what chevron claims to have in their gas, to what degree is unknown.

I wondering whether adding the techron detergent is beneficial or is it all a scam? This i do not know.
Probably as good as your average fuel injector cleaner. To that end it can't hurt and might prevent a clogged injector. Sam's is part of Walmart, was the buying power I was speaking of. Did wounder why the drop was so slow. Knew it was about the money. Didn't know the particular math of it. Good info.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2012, 12:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I use Lucas Fuel Treatment - buy it by the gallon. Cost is significantly lower per ounce when you buy a gallon of it. I use about two ounces per ten gallon fillup.

I usually buy gasoline at Sam's - it's normally about three cents cheaper than the other stations.

No Shell or chevron stations in this area, so I don't have to worry about that!

We are near a pipeline transfer point so most of our gasoline comes from the same source. Different brands claim they have different additives that are put in at the pipeline, but who knows for sure?
Busted_PT likes this.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 28 May 2012, 06:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Race track, Walmart or 7-11. However every week or so I add the Lucas and every couple of months I use Seafoam. Before an oil change I will dump can of Marvel Mystery oil in or some Seafoam to loosen some of the crude up before the oil change.

R.I.P. Penny
2001 - Limited Edition - 234,067 + Miles
120,000 spark plugs Bosch Platinum 4
135,000 - Timing belt,
170,000 - Radiator
190,000 PCV and hose
200,000 Spark plugs Bosch Platinum IR Fusion
200,235 - Oil Sensor
Old 28 May 2012, 06:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoron67 View Post
Race track, Walmart or 7-11. However every week or so I add the Lucas and every couple of months I use Seafoam. Before an oil change I will dump can of Marvel Mystery oil in or some Seafoam to loosen some of the crude up before the oil change.
How many miles or how soon before the oil change do you use Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam?

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 28 May 2012, 07:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

It really doesnt matter which brand you buy, you will never know how much detergent additive they put in the tank. I would assume any of the majors in your area should put some in, but remember most of the stations in our area are independantly owned, so can the owner cheapen the gas going into his tank even though it may say shell or Mobile?

Anyhow we have shell, mobile Irving and Gibbs( canadien) etc I just buy the 91 Octane because we are stuck with that crap.

I run techron or Regane. Big Lots near us has clearance on a lot of the Shell V-Power, Gumout with regane and Gumout Total Fuel system cleaner with Regane,Techron.

I throw a bottle in a tank full or two before I change the oil. I have no idea if it helps but when you get the stuff on clearance I guess it doesnt hurt.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue