PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rocker panel rust

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2012, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rocker panel rust

First of all the rest of the car won't show that kind of damage. This condition is common around here. Like the others said no rust to speak of, witch means not much experience with the subject in there area. Wish we all were that lucky. That said if you have someone look at it, don't ask a mechanic ask a auto body tech. A mechanic is not trained to evaluate body structure issues. But if you want rid of it It will need to be removed and fabricate patches. An auto restorer is more likely to have the skills for this. Or try What I said earlier.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jun 2012, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First of all the whole rest of the car is not going to show the same as the rocker. This condition is common around some parts of the country. Those who are lucky enough to be shocked about this don't have a lot of experience with the subject and panic. But if you need to have it looked at don't ask a mechanic ask an auto body tech. he is trained to evaluate body structure. A mechanic is not. A auto restorer is a good candidate for the fabrication skills needed here, far as removing an making patches for this repair. Or you can try what I said earlier.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jun 2012, 08:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I agree with Nightwing. We once had a Cruiser on here that swore her crossmember had rusted in two. No one believed her. Then she sent pics--and the doubters believed ....
Had one that did that-Still running around. It's only rear of K-member, it's flat, thin, so subsequently holds salt and is easy for it to crumble.
Forward part is heavier so it's difficult to rust thru-
It does give appearance that it's rusted 'in-half' though, thats for sure.

Seems 2d gen Neon K-member is designed same way.
edb likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2012, 09:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

There was no "panic" on my part. I've owned a total of 19 old Bugs, Buses, Karman Ghia's, and one Type 4--Volkswagens and all air-cooled. Many of those showed enough rust to give me just a teensy bit of experience on the subject--despite the fact that my 2003 PT is as clean as a Titanic Whistle ....

That being said, I feel so much better now.

Tim
Old 07 Jun 2012, 01:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Maybe others can learn from my mistake. I should have never let my arthritis get the best of me when washing/caring for my car. I should have known better and taken care of the underside of my vehicle also.

Uptown: I appreciate your comments about my car looking "fantastic" from pics I posted. As far as the white...I don't know if the white is still salt. It could be salt I suppose, or it could be crud from the dirt road that I traveled recently to my brothers home. The dirt on that road caked to the wheel wells and had a whitish appearance. Nevertheless I need to wash it. It's amazing what a camera sees, that the naked eye cannot (I put the camera on the ground under the car while snapping the pic).

Going forward I will definitely do a better job of caring for my car. The rust is most likely not from my one winter back in Minnesota. Michigan winters can also be harsh, but I have no idea the extent or content of salt used on the roads.

I ran the car through a brushless car wash prior to taking these pictures and the ones in my other thread, but will hand wash at my brothers this weekend. Maybe he knows someone with a lift to get a better look at the underside.

Busted_PT: You mention sanding away the rust and flaking paint. Should I also use a metal brush? Regarding "a rust encapsulator" ... Is Eastwood's Encapsulator the product of choice or is there another?

Any recommendations for a filler?

Is there a recommended brand of primer and paint?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

3M makes a round paint and rust stripper you ca use on a drill or other rotary devise, that works fast.Far as filler I prefer a short strand fiberglass filler. Bondo makes one that is called Bondo-glass, I believe it's called. Fiberfill will also work, but I don't know the maker.These type fillers don't absorb any water! The encapsulator you mentioned will be fine. What ever is available to you. This wont cure your problem but will slow it down and make it look better for a while. Primer and paint, any thing from spray can to professional grade.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Jun 2012, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

I cant see the pictures, they block em here at work ;(

But i am sure it is the rocker area below the rear door.

Sherman and associates makes repair patch panels, a shop can cut out the bad area and weld them in.

Eastwoods makes Inner frame coating. It is a zinc phenolic. Comes in aerosol can with a wand with a brass tip for 360 degree spray pattern.

Yank the trim at the bottom of the doors, will see two white plugs, thread in the wand and press the trigger and flood it.

Let it dry a couple days. The get some fluid film and do the same.

The trick with any car is to do these things before the iron worms hatch!
UptownSport likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 07 Jun 2012, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys for your continued help and support.

I found this...
ShermanParts :: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I didn't find repair patch panels, but I did find this below. Are those the panels to which you referred? The way the images look, these would replace the entire rocker panel. Is that correct?

Whilst waiting for product delivery should I cut and sand away the rust?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi all hope you're doing well,

I am back and thought I would update you, but first mention that I appreciate the comments and candor.

I bit the bullet and I went ahead and ordered the rocker panels and will have the body work done. Shermans didn't have them. I found the panels on another site after doing a google search for the part number.

Many of you mentioned the rust was too far gone. Well you were correct. When I brushed and sanded the rusty flaked metal from the one side I was left with a hole, 2 holes actually at the one spot. I can be so stubborn sometimes and thought that I might be able to tackle it. But I have come to my senses.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 07:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope they do a great job on the repairs. Might let them known you are on a web site with thousands of members waiting on the results. You know post pics of the wonderful work. Might do a better job.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com