PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Dash Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2012, 07:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash Removal

I need to get to the RKE module, from the image found in one of the posts it looks like it's right under the dash.
No Headlights, dash lights or door locks...
Lined up a You Tube video of a guy taking the dashboard off- for speakers. Tried pausing it but it's fast camera work so everything between the speakers is a blur.
The question then becomes - is the RKE module just under the dash cover or is extra digging required?
If it's known are other year RKE modules the same? hate to replace one from 2001 that's at the end of it's life ... "junkyard diving".
Thanks and happy cruising-
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdemauro View Post
I need to get to the RKE module, from the image found in one of the posts it looks like it's right under the dash.
No Headlights, dash lights or door locks...
Lined up a You Tube video of a guy taking the dashboard off- for speakers. Tried pausing it but it's fast camera work so everything between the speakers is a blur.
The question then becomes - is the RKE module just under the dash cover or is extra digging required?
If it's known are other year RKE modules the same? hate to replace one from 2001 that's at the end of it's life ... "junkyard diving".
Thanks and happy cruising-
Should be right there under the cover. Pull towards you (front to back) when removing cover. lifting up will damage cover.
Far as electronic boxes go its not a wearing out thing some just go bad. Compatibility another thing.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Jun 2012, 11:31 am
Young Cruiser

Yes, it's right there under the cover. To remove the cover you need to remove the ┐studs? cover.

Old 07 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpersico View Post
Yes, it's right there under the cover. To remove the cover you need to remove the ┐studs? cover.

i believe they're called pillars(sp?)
Old 07 Jun 2012, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!
I have a line on a junkyard RKE module with remote, they may even offer an extended warranty, fingers crossed.
Just before I rush into replacing it to find it's something else I shouldn't assume it's the module, the symptoms are: the automatic door lock at 15 mph failed in a way where it was noticeable, as in I'm driving and being accustomed to that "click" was aware hat it had missed locking the doors- while pondering it at about 40mph the doors locked, then unlocked and the horn beeped short like when the system is armed. To make matters worse the next few trips around town i'd get short beeps randomly ... like the beep you make when someone falls asleep at a red light. Then a few days of that it stopped, car locks and horn beeps, unlocks too- the only thing missing is the auto lock at 15 mph.
Just in case it was too easy the other day I threw my keys out, the last programmed remote (I have two unprogrammed remotes and two programmed keys) ... that's why getting an RKE module and a remote is just what I need, tho until I try it out I'll be wondering if it's not the module but a lowly realy.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think it's a relay.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com