Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash Lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2012, 09:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Dash Lights

Ive searched the forum and havent found anything on this yet.
As most may know now, I acquired a 2002 PT touring recently. The dash lights do not work, the PO acquired it as it is as well, he just never looked into it. I want to fix it as it is anoying as heck to drive at night and not know what the mph are... I have watched videos to take the dash apart, but What do I need to look at/or where to start as far as trouble shooting the reason the lights arent working. The Odometer lights up and the radio station displays but there is no other dash lights working ( Guages/controls ) I also want to look at the heater core to see if it needs replacing but cant find anything on the heater core. Would it be best to take it to a Stealership or just bite the bullet and labor away?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Lights

i'm sure you already checked, but i gotta ask. have you turned the multifunction switch up?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
i'm sure you already checked, but i gotta ask. have you turned the multifunction switch up?
Good answer. Most new owners don't know there's a twist ring on the MFS that turns the dash lights completely off one way and over to bright and interior lights on the other way.

Also had more than one couldn't get the fog lights to work because they didn't know enough to pull out on the end of the MFS. Cases like these that an owners manual comes in real handy.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 01:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
He said the odometer and radio display works. iirc, they run off of the MFS also
edit to add, maybe i'm thinking of the gear selection display in the cluster near the odometer?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer

Last edited by OurPTGT; 21 Jun 2012 at 01:21 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On mine, You can't turn the odometer or radio off no matter what you do, even if all the other lights are turned down all the way.

That's exactly like he has said in his first post (odometer and radio) so I do believe it's the twist knob on the MFS that's tuned all the way down on sonocativo's car.

Guess we'll find out if he comes back to the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
He said the odometer and radio display works. iirc, they run off of the MFS also
edit to add, maybe i'm thinking of the gear selection display in the cluster near the odometer?
just checked. on my 2002, although very dim, the odometer and radio display are on when i turn the dimmer all the way down.

edit: beat me to the punch.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I tried the ring and figured out the funky fog switch thingy...lol , the odometer will brighten one click up and next is the dome lights, so the twist ring thing isnt the issue, just no dash lights. I have read the pin connectors on back of the cluster has issues with making good contacts sooooo, guess when I get time and its cool enough Ill pull the dash apart. Started to do it today but my daughter called and took her to get pre qualified for a house.
Hopefully the dash light issue is something simple...which Murphys Law never allows to be simple once you tear into it....lol
Old 21 Jun 2012, 08:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

taking the dash apart isn't too difficult. might i suggest when you have the cluster out to replace all the bulbs. you didn't mention, do the turn signal/flasher lights work?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 09:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes the turn signals/hazzard flashers work, radio works, dome light works just no lights in guages or controls. All the bells and whistles work ( battery/oil/ect...) light up upon starting as they should just cant see anything at night without the dome light to see how fast Im going or to switch ac/fan/controls...ect...
Old 21 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

then i would replace the mfs. its the only thing that makes sense. and i believe they're pretty inexpensive on rockauto.