Replacing the windshield on a 03 Cruiser

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2012, 09:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing the windshield on a 03 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbis View Post
Free if I do it, which is why I am asking. I can get a used windshield for $90, so if I can install it myself I can get a replacement windshield for $90 total.
You cannot install this yourself. You need a special cutting tool to take the old windshield out, another cutting tool to remove the remaining urethane. You then need a windshield primer that gets "painted" on the inner perimeter of the glass as well as the windshield frame of the body, so the new urethane has good adhesion.

After all this, you need a special gun to eject about a full tube of urethane onto the window frame to get the proper bead size. Then you need a special set of windshield cups to hold the windshield from above while lowering it onto the urethane, and finally taping it along the top to hold it in place.

This is not a one person job, and I doubt you have the tools and equipment to do it yourself properly, and for the cost to buy those tools, you could have saved even more by just having a professional install it.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The primer is all but nonexistent these days. Most urethane is self priming. Google the subject, I'm sure there are some u tube windshield install how toos.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2012, 09:34 am
Senior Cruiser

And you don't have to put tape to hold it in place. When Safelite installed mine I had to wait an hour after the install and I was on my way.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 12:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbis View Post
My insurance won't cover it. Believe me, if I could have this done for free, I would.
Why won't insurance cover it?
Old 12 Jul 2012, 01:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Some states are different. My Comp insurance doesn't cover it either. It did when I lived in Massachusetts though. (Same company)

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 11:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Didn't realize that. When my dog cracked the windshield when attempting to to through it insurance did cover it. Guys came to the house and replaced it in the driveway. That was a different state though. Don't know what this state would do, but hoping I don't have to find out again.