PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT problems read this FIRST

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2012, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default PT problems read this FIRST

I have seen so many new members join ask a question get help and than they never post again? First of all that is really “rude” try to introduce yourself so at least we don’t feel totally used. We would love to give you a WELCOME to the forum. You do after all get a lot of FREE information from experienced members and also professionals in the Automotive Industry and we do so enjoy helping fellow PT owners.
Use the forums TOOLS. Many of the common concerns have long been posted in threads over the years so you might try to first use the forums search engine to see if your question and answer is there.

Here is some common sense things you should have ready for us to be able to help you in the best and shortest time possible.

Give a complete description of your PT and include any and all modification, mileage, what part of the country you drive in etc.
The more information about your PT the better it is so we do not have to spend endless postings asking questions about your PT and it's specifics.

If you had any tests performed give the results not just a response like it was tested by a mechanic and was said to be ok?
That is really NOT very helpful we have no idea what OK means without the DATA.
i.e. " I checked your tires and they were "OK" ?????? What does "OK" represent or mean in this statement ?

Give useful information or DATA: If you had a compression test performed to the engine what were the pound results in each numbered cylinder? If you got your battery checked what was the voltage before the test and during the load test ?
Give use the details about specific's more information is better.

Details about the results will shorten endless questions just to start narrowing down possible solution for you.

You expect to come here and get help, well than help us to help you. We would really like to try!

MORE INFORMATION AND SPECIFIC PLEASE!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Jul 2012 at 11:37 am.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I have been collecting PT Cruiser related documents now for several years and have built up quite a library. I thought this site would be a good place to make these available to forum members. Before proceeding to download any of this data, please read the Statement of Responsibility below.

STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY - prior to downloading any items from this article, please understand that the staff and owners of PTCruiserLinks.com, and the author of this thread will not be held responsible or liable for the misuse, incorrect use, or improper outcome from the use of any of this material. The user is held solely responsible for downloading this material and for it's use. We do request that you do not disseminate, distribute or in any other way provide copies of this information to any one else. If they are interested in this information, suggest to them that they sign up for these forums so that they can gain access to these links.

This is a GREAT source of information !
Jasper likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Jul 2012, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT problems read this FIRST

Don't forget in the Feedback & Support section of the forum, Chromenut made up a post on what new members should tell us when they come here with a problem.

First, most don't read anything before posting yet alone go through the forum looking for what the rules are of anything about what information we need to help them. So, it was a good idea but didn't really work ....unless, we tell the newbees to "go to that section and read this" which wouldn't go over to big and it's just like telling them to "do a search". I've given up and just started answering the questions right away but tell them we need more information.

Here's the sticky thread that's in the Support section:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ad-please.html

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had to ask for advice on how to do a signature. For the life of me I couldn't find the damn thing, and yet was told repeatedly to have my car details in the signature. Haha

Crewzin came to my rescue, and then I felt like a right plonker.

And can I just say, the search is a little glitchy at times. I have entered things into a search, and it kept coming up as no posts or no threads.

I do think some people are a bit brash and seem to think we all have 24/7 to sort out the PTs, some of us do not.

There, all said now.

I do agree a welcome/introduction post is always good though.
mityqwik likes this.

Old 16 Jul 2012, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post

I do agree a welcome/introduction post is always good though.

But how do you get people to read it before posting? That was the idea on Chromenut's post but people don't read it, or are you talking about an introduction post from the new person. Yea, it would be nice ....good luck with that. I am surprised how many do use the "welcome New Members" thread but most, with a problem, just post away without so much as a "howdy"
mityqwik and Badglas like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Jul 2012 at 02:56 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Carey, forgive me if I'm wrong, but when you sign up for an account, doesn't the forum send you an email to welcome you and for you to activate your account? I mean I've built forums for years and almost every one does.

The reason for the question is we could come up with some straight-forward simple rules to add to that email and give it over to Neon, maybe he could update the activation text email thingy to include some simple instructions???
Old 16 Jul 2012, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't now what happens when you sign up. It was 10 years ago for me. Skylight did make it harder for people to join but it was because all the He did a good job because it's almost all gone. Sounds like a good idea so I'll leave him a note about maybe putting a link to the "read this first" post.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Jul 2012 at 03:09 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 03:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think it would make very little difference. Some people are just simply not interested in introductions and want to know an answer to 1 question and off they shoot.

It is just the way things are with some people. Those who plan to stick around a while I think in the main do introduce themselves and read the rules etc and the sticky threads.

And if I recall, when I joined, I had to activate my account by clicking on the link sent in the email. It then took me to the home page after a welcome box with your account has been activated message. And there you can see the introduction forum.

Perhaps direct people to a page after the account has now been activated box disappears instead of the home page and on it a list of rules and certain threads just in there? Isn't that just another hyperlink page? Have I got that right? Websites are not my thing.

Last edited by whiteclaw; 16 Jul 2012 at 03:17 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 04:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I personally find it poor form when people join the forum asking questions without introducing themselves first.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On some forums you are limited to posting only in the introduction area for about 10 posts before you are allowed full posting activation in all the area's.

This sounds like a PIA but it weeds out new one time posting member's.

I have only been here a month but in the last 2 weeks I have seen *new members (*less than 2 posting) asking questions that had not only been ask and answered several times over the years but it was just repeated only a few days earlier?
I mean really how many causes are there for a dead battery?

I do understand that the search tool feature can have a few unpredictable results and at times frustrating but "hey" take a few minutes and look up old threads about your subject before you jump into a help question.

The least new member's can do is ask where the information possible could be found to help them?

I really do enjoy helping members with problems but dislike taking the time to post helpful information only to later cut and paste the answer in future threads. And some of you all can already notice I get long winded sometimes in some responses!

Oh well!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Jul 2012 at 04:27 pm. Reason: similes are important to show expression