PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
loss of power cutting out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2012, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default loss of power cutting out

hi this is my first post here.

my wife has bought a second hand pt cruiser 02 plate manual 5 speed.

she has been experiencing problems with loss of power and it stalling.

it seems its a temperamental problem, but when it does do it, it creeps along at 30mph with foot to floor and then depress the clutch and the revs drop and stalls. if you leave it to sit for a while it can be restarted but still is sluggish.
the dealer who we got the car from has taken it away and said there seems to be no problem with it, but my wife has broken down twice now, managed to creep home at 30 when it restarted, so its sods law that its not doing anything whilst the dealer has it.

also what type of coolant does it take as my wife added water to it and not the special coolant it describes, could this be causing said problems??

regards
Old 01 Aug 2012, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: loss of power cutting out

I take it your from England. I recognize some of your terms since I spent 12 years in Harrogate. Welcome to the forum.

Does the engine light come on at all and maybe stay on? That would give you a fault code to give an idea where to start looking for the problem. Sounds like maybe a fuel problem or something along those lines like a clogged exhaust. Don't know if the European models have a Catalytic Converter or not but owners here that have experienced a clogged CAT also have the sluggish engine and will cause the engine to stall.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2012, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, yes i am from the UK, Cambridgeshire. Yes the european models all have cats, its mandatory. There doesnt seem to be any lights on when this happens so cant really give a fault code.

You could be right it may be a fuel pipe blockage or something like that, hopefully the dealer may be able to sort it out.
Old 01 Aug 2012, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My wife's sister lives in St. Ives. Know the area well.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, St ives yes its not far from me i live In Ely.

So just an update on my wifes car, it has not been cutting out which is great but, it has a weird problem when trying to accelerate, i put my foot down and it starts pulling away fine, and then it just dies of power as though someone has put the invisible brake on, and then when i slow down and change gear etc..it seems to pick up again and drive ok, until it does the same thing.

Very strange, other than that the car drives well so this is bugging me and my wife like mad and is causing concern to my wife when having the kids on the car.
I have some fault codes which i found out how to do today.

P0016
P0522
P0344
P0340

Could any of these fault codes be causing this to lose power suddenly????

Also, when at a standstill with the engine is running and press my foot on the accelerator, the revs start to pulse at about 2000rpm, i'm just sat there with my foot in the same position and it pulses up and down from 2000-1500rpm up and down. Very strange.

Regards
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, a couple of the codes point to a bad Camshaft Sensor and if it's breaking down will cause problems.

0016 Crank or Camshaft sensor
0340 Camshaft sensor
0344 Camshaft sensor
0522 Oil Pressure sensor

Have you ever dealt with changing the Camshaft sensor? Pretty easy and we suggest that you use only genuine Chrysler Parts. We seen too many aftermarket sensor fail from the start or soon after.

Here's a HOW TO on replacement of the sensor.

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo

Here's what it looks like close-up.

And under the sensor is a magnet. Sometimes they go bad but wait and see if the sensor itself fixes your problem.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Aug 2012 at 11:54 am.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi thanks for the fast reply, ive just removed the cam sensor and gave it a clean, perhaps i wil get a new one this week and fit it on, and see what happens then.

I took the PT for a test drive drive just now and noticed it only loses the power at Exactly 2500rpm in every gear, if i put my foot on the clutch and let the revs drop down below 2500rpm it sorts itself out and i have normal power once again but once it reaches the 2500rpm it loses power.

So its driveable as long a sit kept below said rpm. At least it will save a bit of fuel keeping it low. lol

Any ideas as to why it has power loss at Exactly 2500?
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not really except if the coil, plugs or wires are bad and whichever, gives out and can't supply spark at that RPM. Maybe somebody reading this can come up with something.

Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok thanks, its a bit of a strange one.

Anyone else looking have any ideas, i may post this to a new thread.

Cheers
Old 13 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cam sensor ordered, i will update to tell you if it worked for me.

regards