PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I think I hit a skunk.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2012, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I think I hit a skunk.

A few days ago, I saw something white and furry run across the road. I slammed on the breaks to avoid it and veered to the opposite side of the road. I didn't hear a thump or feel like I hit anything. I turned around to check and see if I hit the animal. (it was very dark out). Saw nothing in the road. Then, the most ungodly stench filled my car. The entire inside of my car reeks and so does the outside, near the bottom of the drivers side door. I thought maybe I hit the skunk, but it ran off and sprayed my car. But a friend told me recently that it smells like my catalytic converter is going bad and that they usually smell that way when they are clogged up and getting ready to die. Soooo....my question is....is that what's wrong, or did I hit a skunk? Please, please, please tell me it was a skunk! I just got this car back in November. It's a 2008 by the way. I've spent tons of money decorating it, and I don't have the money to fix something like this right now.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 03:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: I think I hit a skunk.

Weeeeeellllll since we can't smell via the internet...

May I suggest a couple trips through a car wash?

You can put your nose up to the tailpipe when running. If it smells like rotten eggs (strong sulfur smell) then you can suspect a bad cat.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 04:46 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: I think I hit a skunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittycruiser View Post
A few days ago, I saw something white and furry run across the road. I slammed on the breaks to avoid it and veered to the opposite side of the road. I didn't hear a thump or feel like I hit anything. I turned around to check and see if I hit the animal. (it was very dark out). Saw nothing in the road. Then, the most ungodly stench filled my car. The entire inside of my car reeks and so does the outside, near the bottom of the drivers side door. I thought maybe I hit the skunk, but it ran off and sprayed my car. But a friend told me recently that it smells like my catalytic converter is going bad and that they usually smell that way when they are clogged up and getting ready to die. Soooo....my question is....is that what's wrong, or did I hit a skunk? Please, please, please tell me it was a skunk! I just got this car back in November. It's a 2008 by the way. I've spent tons of money decorating it, and I don't have the money to fix something like this right now.
LOL

There is a marked difference between a sulphur smell and a skunk smell, they dont smell a thing alike!
Ray_Dockrey likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 05:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Having removed a few from this plane of existence, I'm very sure your bad odor was the skunk.

Sulphur typically is a rotten egg sorta smell. Skunk smells like, well, skunk. It's just really, really bad smelling.

You might try a few large cans of tomato juice in a wash for that area. It may help. Time is about the only sure thing that will get rid of it though.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

you said you didnt see anything in the road after are you sure the critters not still under there? stuck?
wwpptc and Busted_PT like this.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

I hit one one night coming home a long time ago. I smelled skunk for weeks. That is something I don't want to ever do again lol
Old 05 Aug 2012, 07:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Years ago i hit part of a deer in the road. It was dark and raining with no where to go when i saw it. Luckily it was ran over so much it didnt do any damage when i went over it.

Checked it out in the morning and pieces were stuck to the rear axle...so you may want to check there on yours to see if there are any bits sticking to it or the smell will be there for a good while. Some car washes have an under body clean/spray you could try.

Last edited by xwing777; 05 Aug 2012 at 07:16 pm. Reason: typo
Old 05 Aug 2012, 07:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

A skunk smells like a skunk and sulpher is really different--as the others posters have said.

I'd look around, however, and see if any skunk parts are still clinging to your PT. You may have hit it and no "thump" was audible.

Even so, a skunk's odor will linger for weeks without tomato juice to kill the smell. You might try one of those car washes that have a pressure hose.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 05 Aug 2012, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup, it was a skunk, I can smell you from here.. standby I'm sending you my bosses home address, feel free to use his driveway until it goes away.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel much better now. The smell has started to fade. The inside don't smell anymore right now. My friend pressure washed the underside of the car for me, the other day, and I think that may have solved the problem. The smell I was smelling was definitely not rotten eggs. This was the most ungodly stench I'd ever smelled in my life. It was horrible! I've smelled skunk before, because my dad got sprayed by one, TWICE! This smell was even worse than the one that sprayed my dad. But anyway, thanks for putting my mind at ease over this situation. I was really worried it was going to be a very costly mechanical problem, when my friend had said it might be the catalytic converter.