• 8 Post By Badglas
  • 1 Post By KyCruiser502
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2012, 12:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Default PT Reliability

Evening all. Just a note about reliability. I've seen many posts that make this seem to be an unreliable vehicle, and there some of the opposite view. When I bought this it was project. I've turned a wrench my entire life, but knew little about Chrysler, let alone a PT Cruiser.

This PT has had some really rough years (see my other posts), so I decided to tear it down so that I knew it would be reliable. I wanted to be proactive, rather than reactive after reading many of the posts here on the forum. You can see what I'm up to in the projects forum.

Okay, to the point. This PT has 109000 miles on it. The inside of the engine is spotless. Everything was original, from the spark plugs to the accessory drive belts. So this PT has performed flawlessly even when neglected, and required no service other than oil changes for 109000 miles. I'm impressed! It speaks highly for the quality and reliability of the PT, and explains why shops are going broke.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 06 Aug 2012, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: PT Reliability

Should the PT owners that have constant issues cahge everything over from a neon? I have owned neons and never had issues like these things have, just strip everything down fome the clusters to the ECM and start over...lol
Old 06 Aug 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Should the PT owners that have constant issues cahge everything over from a neon? I have owned neons and never had issues like these things have, just strip everything down fome the clusters to the ECM and start over...lol

I thought in one of your earlier posts, you were going to sell this car that is giving you so much trouble. Maybe get another neon. lol

As you can see, adding the lol at the end of a post as you did, doesn't really change the meaning of a post.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Aug 2012 at 10:47 am.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm on my second 2001 Cruiser. 230,000 plus miles on the first. Only replaced the computer after a bare spot in a cable shorted it out. #2 has 229,000 plus miles and only replaced the timing belt, plugs, wires and coil. I would say that's pretty reliable. Your mileage may vary.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 11:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I bought mine new 2.5 years ago and have about 27k miles on it now. The reliability I would call questionable.

I've had about 2 dozen individual problems with it, from failed seat switches all the way to air bags that have come loose. My most severe problems have been my airbag coming loose, one of my ABS sensors failing, and the power seat switch failing, forcing the seat all the way forward and rendering the car undriveable (as the seat was too close to the wheel for me to even fit in).

I do have to admit, though, that even though I've had more problems than I can shake a stick at, the car has never left me stranded.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Only selling to get custody of my son and a divorce, no luck yet so I may end up keeping it. I need to get some money sent off to get that spare tire carrier as well from a member here.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I find that on most used cars it's the repairs or the half a$$ execution there of, that causes the chronic issues that plague those who are reliant on others to take care of there cars. Those here that have done very little or done their own repairs seem to have fared way better than the ones had repairs done by others. Low miles seem not to be necessarily favorable.
When I encounter this and correct these things, I find I have a pretty good car afterwards.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Garages just slam stuff- then blame you.

The old 2.4/2.0 was a good engine, they changed some stuff with PT, then again with later models;
It's generally not the engine that gives trouble- everything else. (BIG DISCLAIMER ON THE 2.7)

You'll also note, the simpler the car, the more reliable.
If it doesn't have electric seats; switch can't fail
No AC, can't fail
etc.

I'm sure you're all imagining Uptown rolling around in his 1922 jalopy without the electric start or heater option muttering something about 'that's the way I like it ...'
Vlefaive likes this.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Garages just slam stuff- then blame you.

The old 2.4/2.0 was a good engine, they changed some stuff with PT, then again with later models;
It's generally not the engine that gives trouble- everything else. (BIG DISCLAIMER ON THE 2.7)

You'll also note, the simpler the car, the more reliable.
If it doesn't have electric seats; switch can't fail
No AC, can't fail
etc.

I'm sure you're all imagining Uptown rolling around in his 1922 jalopy without the electric start or heater option muttering something about 'that's the way I like it uh hu uh hu!...'
Yep, KC and the sunshine band and a old jalopy. I got ya.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com