PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Bumper Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2012, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front Bumper Removal

Front Bumper Removal

Hello, I need to remove the front bumper (Plastic) on my 05 to repair some cracks. Don’t know if it can be repaired or just replaced.

Looking for a step by step instructions to do this but could not find from forum search. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Also what kind of glue is recommended to fix a crack?

Last edited by BigDragon; 07 Aug 2012 at 09:49 am.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 10:13 am
Banned

Default Re: Front Bumper Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
Front Bumper Removal

Hello, I need to remove the front bumper (Plastic) on my 05 to repair some cracks. Donít know if it can be repaired or just replaced.

Looking for a step by step instructions to do this but could not find from forum search. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Also what kind of glue is recommended to fix a crack?

Do you mean like the ones at the bottom of this thread (page) listed under "similar threads"? They would have come up when you did your "search"

Jerry
Old 07 Aug 2012, 11:00 am
Young Cruiser

Ive used "Bondo" plastic bumper repair as well as Plastic epoxy, not the quick stuff, but the epoxy that take a little bit to set.
2 weeks after i got my PT, the GF lightly rear ended someone and broke the license plate off and the screws gouged the bumper on the top. After i smoothed the rough edges of the gouges and fill them in with the plastic bondo filler, let cure, sanded smooth, painted and clear coated. I also had a 5-6in crack on the drivers side bottom corner, which i used the regular epoxy and heavy duty wire screen inbedded in the epoxy on the back side and filled in the front with the Bondo filler, again sanded and paint/clearcoated. Here is a couple of pic of the top of the bumper. I couldnt find the picture i had right after i fixed the top, but the second picture is a recent one and everything is holding up wonderful. The body shop wanted $350+ to repair and paint the bumper cover, i fix it for under 20 bucks. I do still plan on buying a new bumper cover just not in a hurry to do so now, since it still looks pretty good.

Gouging is from the bracket screws, i used rubbing compound to remove the bumber transfer (dark smudges) from the bumper.

Still looking good...this was during my headlight resto a few weeks or so ago.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Great idea to use wire screen with the epoxy. I have some 45 minute cure time epoxy.

Did you just use a rattle can paint to finish? If so what kind?

Thank you, found the bumper removal at the bottom of the page.

Newbie here, duh ....
Old 07 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Honestly the damages werent big enough to use spray, i just used Mopar touch up paint, i would put a coat on, let it dry and wet sand, i think in all i put about 3-4 coats, and blended it in the best i could.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, going to try that also and see how it comes out...Thanks
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

For those who would like a video on removing the front bumper, then Google "Replacing headlights in a PT Cruiser". Go down a few posts until you find a YouTube video on the subject. Click the link and watch the guy remove his bumber to get to his headlights.

Tim