PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wont Start anymore....

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2012, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Wont Start anymore....

Ok... so heres the deal... and im REALLY preying that you super smart PT owners and mechanics out there can help me.

Lets start out with the obivious... Im an idiot..... ok.. enough about that. My wife owns at 2002 PT Dream Bruser... I mean, Cruiser Edition. She was driving down the street.... ok... here it is in her words:

----The Wife's Txt-----
Driving down Roosevelt and oil light came on and dinged. Immediately afterwards engine light dinged and came on. Then car engine lost power and I was able to coast into a Lot. *When I tried to restart it it sounded like normal but never revved up or caught on. *Turned everything off inside and still wouldn't start. When Mark (a friend) checked oil it was dry. Put 5w30 in and he disconnected the battery then reconnected. Tried to start and same thing. He said it turns over but somehow doesn't get ignited with the spark plugs or something. Said he'd take me home and we should get it towed to repair tomorrow. Said it might start after it cools off.*
----End of Txt----

sooo... here is where I come in as an idiot.... I have not checked the oil in months.. she really only drives it about 100 miles a week in 5 mile spirts to and from work. So it was low on oil.....Can low oil pressure cause the car not to start or cause the car to shut down? And if it would cause the car to stop running would just letting it cool down allow it to start later say tomorrow morning? I know about the timeing belt issue with these cars but the car would not even turn over if the timing belt was broken right? What about changing the spark plugs and wires.... could that be it... I am stuck at work and she is already home but I just want to try to get some ideas before going to check on it at 1am when I get off tonight and obiviously I cant get any computer codes until then.

I know this seems like begging, and it really is, but I MUST get this thing back up and running ASAP. Ideas from any of you wonderful people?

Thank you SOOOO much ahead of time.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wont Start anymore....

I'll start off because I'm always on the forum if not out with the Sheriff's office.

One. if the timing belt broke, yes it would turn over and not start so first you have to say what your mileage is. If it's not anywhere near 100,000 miles, it's probably not that.

Low on oil. How low? Too low and metal to metal contact will heat up the engine until it can't turn over anymore. It's turning over but not starting so that's not it.

I know the oil pressure sensor isn't supposed to stop the car dead and not let it start BUT I've seen it in person when the light came on to a couple of ladies in a PT that wouldn't start at a light. Tried to help and had her do a key trick that would give a fault code. P0195-P0199 is the oil pressure sensor code.

Try the key trick, here are the instructions.

How to retrieve fault codes.

Find out what the computer is saying.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No oil can lock up the motor. Broken belt will let it turn over but no start. Cam sensor will let it turn over but no start. The variables are numerous. But the oil thing is a big one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Aug 2012, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok.... Ill get the codes and put a reply... thanks for trying so far and thanks for the future help
Old 08 Aug 2012, 12:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok fault codes are as follows

P0340 and P1634
Old 08 Aug 2012, 04:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure of the P1634 but the P0340 is saying there's a fault with the Camshaft Sensor. It's pretty easy to replace but you want to buy the part (if possible) from a Chrysler dealer. Aftermarket parts have been known to fail on a regular basis.

Here's how to replace the part.

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2012, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

The P1634 came up after I did the key dance one time and saw the code but turned the key off before writing it down. It didnt come up the first time I did the key dance.

The millage of the car is 82554. I know you were wondering about that in the past post.

Thanks again for the help
Old 08 Aug 2012, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Actually every time I go to the link that you shared it locks up the browser on the iPad. I found this video for the 2007 PT on YouTube and it is done by a Mechanic and is actually well done, step by step. Im preying that its the same for the 2002 PT.

I wanted to post this link for anyone in the future looking for a video to fix this issue.

Old 08 Aug 2012, 11:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Or maybe the timing belt ?
Old 08 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

A friend of mine whose car is not a Chrysler had a similar issue with regards to the engine and oil light dinging.

He had a sudden drop on the fuel gauge. Turned out he had a faulty sensor and actually ran out of petrol. Put petrol and oil in and it still wouldn't start. He was told by the AA he had to do this engine start a few times to get the fuel through the line.

Not sure if that helps, but his car started in the end.

Could check fuel line too if you did have gas in the tank.

Tags
engine light, oil light, oil pressure, wont start