PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser repair job

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2012, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2001 PT Cruiser repair job

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser limited ed., fully equipped with 5 speed trans. Took her in for lube and oil change and dragging front disc brake. The car only has 49,000 orig. miles and always been garaged. My friend that runs the shop called and gave me the news that it needs front calipers and while checking the front end discovered the lower control arms are rotted along with the main front crossmember. Needless to say all these items have to be replaced to the tune of over $2000. That's a bit discouraging for a car that's received TLC all these years. Shouldn't Chrysler be liable for items like a rotted crossmember and control arms? Car will be for sale soon, too bad, I love the car.

PS..Car only has 49,000 orig. miles (bought it new)

Last edited by Barrels; 09 Aug 2012 at 11:57 am. Reason: added PS
Old 09 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser repair job

I think you need to find another shop and get a second opinion. And maybe a new friend.
XtrmDC2 and Badglas like this.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Ray ...on both points.
Badglas likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

now, i'm not a PT cruiser fanatic and i'm not angrily trying to defend the car. i'm just here to help and be helped.

i wash my car only when it gets embarrassingly dirty, they use a lot of salt here by chicago and my car lives ungaraged in a gravel driveway. my car is a 2002 with 244k miles and of all the rusty crap on my car, the parts you mention have the least amount of rust out of everything. makes no sense.

as far as cost.. the control arms are like 120 a pair at rock auto and a used k-member should be under $100. maybe 150 if it's removed and delivered to the shop from the scrap yard. brake calipers are 39.99 each at vatozone.

$1700 is a lot of labor to install $300 worth of parts.

so how much did your friend offer you for it after he told you how much it was to fix it? my mechanic friend scores used cars from people like you all the time. just sayin'
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Aug 2012 at 01:51 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

no one is questioning you but id sure like to see pics of this we had a member tell us her car rusted IN_HALF she was serious but i dont think we ever saw pics

l;ike already said the parts dont justify the cost
Old 09 Aug 2012, 05:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
now, i'm not a PT cruiser fanatic and i'm not angrily trying to defend the car. i'm just here to help and be helped.

i wash my car only when it gets embarrassingly dirty, they use a lot of salt here by chicago and my car lives ungaraged in a gravel driveway. my car is a 2002 with 244k miles and of all the rusty crap on my car, the parts you mention have the least amount of rust out of everything. makes no sense.

as far as cost.. the control arms are like 120 a pair at rock auto and a used k-member should be under $100. maybe 150 if it's removed and delivered to the shop from the scrap yard. brake calipers are 39.99 each at vatozone.

$1700 is a lot of labor to install $300 worth of parts.

so how much did your friend offer you for it after he told you how much it was to fix it? my mechanic friend scores used cars from people like you all the time. just sayin'
I don't disagree with your analysis, but would like to point out that most shops do not buy parts at Rock Auto yet. Most don't install used parts for liability reasons. Most shops deal with 2-3 vendors for parts for many reasons such as warranty issues. The fact that your mechanic friend scores cars like this is not doing any wrong, if the repairs are actually needed. Your post implies an inherent distrust of mechanics, which may be valid. I find that technicians that repair vehicles have to live with the reputation of the mechanics that they dislike even more than the general public

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 09 Aug 2012, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know what you mean, maybe some people have connections that my mechanic doesn't have but he has a computer and has searched and found 1 new crossmember at a dealer in NJ, stated list price is $627 and he doesn't want to sell it. He found a good used one but it was $600 which he ordered. I saw the rotted parts and I wouldn't drive it on the expressway with that stuff. I know a little about cars and mechanics as I've restored antiques for 30 years, mostly Fords. There may be another Ford in my future.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

600 is way too much to pay for a used one. Bought my dream for that. Turbo and all. If you don't spray off the undercarriage of the next one, you will have a similar experience. If the pt had been driven more, the air would have dryed out things slowing down the affects of the salt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...item416735bcaf One of a half dozen in a quick search.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 09 Aug 2012 at 08:09 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I hear you Busted PT, I drove it 5 years to work in northern Ct. on back roads so I guess I should have washed it every week instead of once a month. I guess I'm lucky there is no rust anywhere else. My clue that something was up was she seemed to sit pretty low in front but I attributed it to the 55 series tires. Incidently I still love the car and it looks like the one in your Avitar. Thanks, Barry
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 08:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser limited ed., fully equipped with 5 speed trans. Took her in for lube and oil change and dragging front disc brake. The car only has 49,000 orig. miles and always been garaged. My friend that runs the shop called and gave me the news that it needs front calipers and while checking the front end discovered the lower control arms are rotted along with the main front crossmember. Needless to say all these items have to be replaced to the tune of over $2000. That's a bit discouraging for a car that's received TLC all these years. Shouldn't Chrysler be liable for items like a rotted crossmember and control arms? Car will be for sale soon, too bad, I love the car.

PS..Car only has 49,000 orig. miles (bought it new)

Geez, these cars are pathetic, let me take it off your hands for 500 bucks.

You loved it all of its life and this is what it gives you in return.

Seriously though, you would be a fool to sell it.......