Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whining noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2012, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Whining noise?

I've got a 2002 with 92k miles.I pulled in the driveway last night from work & noticed a whining noise similar to an alternator bearing.Couldn't find anything obvious.Went out this morning no noise.Drove to my local mechanic & it was back after about 5-7 miles.I have to take it back in the morning so he can put it up on the lift for a better look.I'm not driving it to work,just let it set(duh).Sounds like torque converter issues to me,what do you guys think?
Old 09 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whining noise?

Noise is a hard thing to diagnose over the internet. Could be a lot of different things. If you said "noise from a particular part" then maybe we could take a good guess, but "noise" and can't be distinguished between engine and chassis, too broad of a statement.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Noise is a hard thing to diagnose over the internet. Could be a lot of different things. If you said "noise from a particular part" then maybe we could take a good guess, but "noise" and can't be distinguished between engine and chassis, too broad of a statement.
Here's an update:
I took it to my local mechanic,he changed filter & fluid in the transmission which helped a lot.Shifts good,no whining noises,seems to be fine.Hopefully that's all it needed.I'll drive it to work tonight,70+ miles,that should give it time to warm up.I'd say that will be a pretty good test to see how it will be.I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
Here's an update:
I took it to my local mechanic,he changed filter & fluid in the transmission which helped a lot.Shifts good,no whining noises,seems to be fine.Hopefully that's all it needed.I'll drive it to work tonight,70+ miles,that should give it time to warm up.I'd say that will be a pretty good test to see how it will be.I'll keep you guys posted.
Didn't last,put about 100 miles on it & it let go.