PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

horn problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default horn problems

The horn on my 06 n/a stoped workn. I went to use it yesterday and nothing I have looked for a horn fuse or relay with no luck. But the odd thing is when I lock the car with the key the horn honks. But nothing when u push the steering wheel. Has any one had this issue? Or have any info as to how to fix this prob.

Thanks corey
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, K&N CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Eibach Pro-Kit, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 2 12" JL Audio W0's, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: horn problems

Sounds like you might have a problem with the horn electrical connection in the steering wheel.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:48 am
Regular Cruiser

That does seem like it plauseable. But my next question is how do I take the center piece off my wheel with out deploying the bags well my air bag light is on ny way so that may or may not happen. But still.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, K&N CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Eibach Pro-Kit, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 2 12" JL Audio W0's, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some reading for you:

How do you remove a steering wheel from a pt cruiser? - JustAnswer

REMOVAL OF AIRBAG DRIVER SIDE ON 2006 CRISLER PT CRUISER - JustAnswer

PT Cruiser Airbag Removal | eHow.com

07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

How do I remove my airbag from the steering wheel on my 06 Pt Cruiser - Ask Community
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Aug 2012, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
The horn on my 06 n/a stoped workn. I went to use it yesterday and nothing I have looked for a horn fuse or relay with no luck. But the odd thing is when I lock the car with the key the horn honks. But nothing when u push the steering wheel. Has any one had this issue? Or have any info as to how to fix this prob.
Are you saying you cant locate the relay and the fuse or did you mean you checked them and they were ok?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 04:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

I doubt it has a fuse and relay. It am sure it is all controlled through the canbus system. Plus with the horn going off with locking the wiring system should be good.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I couldn't locate a fuse or a relay. And yes withe the horn working when locking. I'm assuming a conection n the wheel has stoped working.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

The air bag is pretty easy to get off. Just make sure you unhook the negative cable first and then press on the brake several times and wait about 15 minutes.

With the front wheels pointed straight, there are two slots on the back of the steering wheel. One on the right and one on he left. With a stubby flat screwdriver, insert it in the slot and pop the clips off the hook on the air bag.

Once both are unhooked, tilt it down a little and unplug the two connections on the back of the airbag. Then continue tilting down and the bottom will unhook.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Once the bags off. What am I looking for to fix the horn and make it function again?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the horn honks when you lock the doors, then it's not the fuse and/or relay. There is a horn ring and it's attached to the clock ring in the steering wheel. Just depends on the setup as to what you need to replace. Me, replaced the clock ring and now I just press with a thumb and the thing honks! Bought a used one from a friend of mine on ebay who sells tons of PT parts, so if you're interested in getting one let me know and I can put you in touch with Denny.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!