PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 pt cruiser keeps overheating air doesnt work please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 pt cruiser keeps overheating air doesnt work please help

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to put this i didnt know where to put it

i have a 2002 pt cruiser and it keeps overheating im not sure why (its actually my dads but hes not great on computers so im asking)

replaced all of these
-radiator
-timing belt
-water pump
-thermostat

we can get maybe a couple miles then it overheats and we have to stop or itll just break down and we have to wait a while for it to cool down

the air doesnt work at all just the heat sometimes we have to turn the heat on to keep it from overheating so fast

what could be wrong with it we have tried everything but nothing has worked yet we dont have much money and have spent so much already

please help we really need out car for my sons doctor appointments but dont know what else to do
Old 11 Aug 2012, 04:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 pt cruiser keeps overheating air doesnt work please help

CHECK YOUR FAN!

Does it turn on with the AC? No? It's broken.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 08:48 am
Young Cruiser

I agree that the fan is an obvious thing to check. There are lots of comments on fans and overheating if you do a search. Does it overheat while you are moving? Or just when you are sitting still. Mine would do fine as long as I was moving. Stop in traffic, and it would heat up. There are two fan speeds. The high speed kicks on if you turn on the a/c. It's fairly loud and obvious. If you don't hear that, the fan isn't working. Otherwise, the radiator cap can make a difference. Also bleeding the air out of the system. It took a while, but I seem to finely have mine all sorted out. For now.

2002 Limited Edition, 5 speed
Old 12 Aug 2012, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with the above except for one thing. There's an on-going discussion about which fan speed comes on with the A/C. Mine (2001), the low speed comes on along with a couple other people. Others have the high speed that comes on with the A/C. Haven't narrowed it down yet but it might be the year of the car that's the difference.

So, turning the A/C on, sometimes you have to look to see if it comes on as the low speed doesn't make a lot of noise like the high speed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.